Hedge laying - in May

treebloke

The Wildlife and Countryside act applies to all land and requires hedge-workers to avoid disturbing birds nests.

I've always been of the understanding that laying during the summer will kill the hedge, but I don't know where I got that idea from.

I have a client who wants his hedge laid now, I have explained it's not the season but he is adamant he wants it done.

Apart from the obvious potential bird nest issues is there a reason why he can't get it done now.

Anyway if you're working for adam ant, can you get me his autograph ? :001_tt2:

there is a law (ask DEFRA ) that hedge cutting (agricultural ) cannot take place between march and july 1st or is it 31st . I was also told many years ago not to lay a thorn hedge whilst it was in flower ,thats now ! ,because it would probably kill it because it would be unable to support itself through the reduced bark coverage from the laying cut and the increased demands of budding and flowering. So a douible no no.

I have done a bit of hedging, and was told the end of hedgelaying moved back from the end of March to the begining of March - not sure about the start but say the beginning of September to be sure all birds have fledged.

the problem for hedglayers, is they only lay a few 'chain' at a time but they come under the same rules as tractor cutting who can cut miles per day.

Must be some info on the 'national hedgelaying' w/site:thumbup1:

I lay hedges in winter and shear sheep in summer, but have swapped the two around before now.

I have a friend who lays a stretch of hedge every midsummer's day (21st of june) to prove it can be done. In the 12 years or so of him doing so there's not been any detrimental effect. The hedge recovers a bit slower than it would in winter, but as you reduce the leaf area as well as the stem's "flow-capacity" it is normally ok.

As far as the law is concerned, I believe you're not allowed to cut hedges when there's any chance of birds nesting.

If you can't talk any sense into your customer, make sure you charge him at least double as you're the person breaking the law, "he told me to do it" holds no power.

there is a law (ask DEFRA ) that hedge cutting (agricultural ) cannot take place between march and july 1st or is it 31st . I was also told many years ago not to lay a thorn hedge whilst it was in flower ,thats now ! ,because it would probably kill it because it would be unable to support itself through the reduced bark coverage from the laying cut and the increased demands of budding and flowering. So a douible no no.

I don't think that's a law, it's a cross compliance requirement that farmers have to abide by if they want their full sfp payment. Last time I looked, requirements for tractor cutting and laying were different: tractor cutting has to be done by 1st March, but laying can go on later if that's unavoidable.

I'd say the nesting birds situation is enough on its own for someone to turn down this job - you're bound to find something nesting at this time of year. It is probably about the worst time to do it from the plant health point of view, made worse by the lack of rain we've had over the last month of so.