DR Stump Grinder

aob9

Now I know all you "BIG GUYS" will choke on your ale when you see this but I thought it would be no harm to tell you about this 9HP DR stump grinder I recently purchased. I have been asked to remove a lot of dead hedging recently and hiring stump grinders around here is nigh on impossible. This is well built and very capable of removing smaller stumps. I've used it on stumps averaging about 6-9" and got through about 50 of them in a little over a day. It has a 9HP Subaru EX27 engine and is surprisingly "gutsy". As you can possibly see by the design it would be difficult to deal with large stumps, not because it wouldn't grind them but because it would be difficult ( but not impossible) to achieve great depth. If anyone is interested I would be glad to answer any questions.

DSC_0135.jpg.3a6f948effef736ee734b7ace2aac383.jpg

Looks a mincer rather than a muncher,but if it does the job time & again sod the limitations,how narrow is it?

It's 30" between handlebars. I know it has obvious limitations but it suits me as a first machine. It's obviously too soon to comment on it's potential longevity. If the work keeps coming in I'll save for an upgrade but for now I'm really pleased with it.

Now I know all you "BIG GUYS" will choke on your ale when you see this but I thought it would be no harm to tell you about this 9HP DR stump grinder I recently purchased. I have been asked to remove a lot of dead hedging recently and hiring stump grinders around here is nigh on impossible. This is well built and very capable of removing smaller stumps. I've used it on stumps averaging about 6-9" and got through about 50 of them in a little over a day. It has a 9HP Subaru EX27 engine and is surprisingly "gutsy". As you can possibly see by the design it would be difficult to deal with large stumps, not because it wouldn't grind them but because it would be difficult ( but not impossible) to achieve great depth. If anyone is interested I would be glad to answer any questions.

Looks like another dead griselinia hedge dont think there is one left in ireland after this winter, what sort of money was the grinder?

Looks like another dead griselinia hedge dont think there is one left in ireland after this winter, what sort of money was the grinder?

€2K , brought it down from NI. Was also considering a Husqvarna SG13 at twice the price. I honestly reckon I don't need the extra grunt, or weight (or cost) because it's mostly hedges and smaller stuff I work with. About half of all the hedging in my area is dead; griselinia, escalonia etc, lots of shrubs too Hypericum, fuschia etc. People are slow to remove them for various reasons, mostly hoping they'll somehow come back to life.

• 2 years later...

interested in you say it has a suburu engine did not know suburu made small engines. is it there own or a re badge job. if the little engine is anything like the car ones will be a very good engine. be interested if their engine goes in any other garden machinery stuff. eg ride on lawn mower

interested in you say it has a suburu engine did not know suburu made small engines. is it there own or a re badge job. if the little engine is anything like the car ones will be a very good engine. be interested if their engine goes in any other garden machinery stuff. eg ride on lawn mower

My riko road tow splitter had the Subaru (robin) engine and it was fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Yep, the grinder is still going strong. I had a minor problem with the belt slipping off the drive pulley on occasion. Fixed it by fitting a washer between the tension pulley assembly and the frame of machine. Engine's as strong as a horse, it only dies if the teeth have rounded and I'm pushing too hard. I couldn't keep that up for long anyhow.........too much like hard work.