Mycorrhiza

sean

I dont think your science is up to date have a look at these :

First, work on the affinity of char & MYC...

Just as a point of principle - whilst it may seem that producing a long list of references adds weight to your arguement this approach (the info-flood!) only has value when the evidence basis of the references is varied, independent and of consistent quality.

That said, and while I don't agree with your arguement, I am pleased to see someone actually trying to support their point with the literature!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pleased to see someone actually trying to support their point with the literature!

Tony,

Thanks for the support, which actually is not needed being faced with someone, who continuously shoots himself in his own foot :001_tt2: by citing biased "research" done by others.

Tony,

How interesting did this eventually get then ?

Oh I didnt bother reading those papers, interesting in a morbid way like watching watching someone clutching at a grassy bank in the rain as they slide into the mire!:lol:

I might read em at some stage though just to see if he has a point, im not convinced though.

artificiality has no place in the holistic future that works with local ecology rather than as man always has fought it like kanute in the tide:thumbup:

And I don't think you really did read or study, let alone understand the articles, because if you would have had your "science" up to date, you would not have overlooked the following :

1. In this article, of which my Dutch collegue Thom Kuyper (Alterra, Wageningen University) is a co-author, a review of experiments on "both biochar additions and mycorrhizal abundance subject to management practice" is presented with the following remarks : "A few studies observed negative effects. There is potential for negative effects on mycorrhizal fungi. The species composition of a mycological fungal assemblage can be important to mycorrhizal functioning. Data on this important aspect of the response of mycorrhizal fungi to biochar are not yet available, but present an important priority for future studies."

2. What were you thinking, presenting a case of : "Biochar use in the Poultry Industry" producing chicken s..t as fertilizer :lol: ?

3. Microorganisms, more microorganisms, microbal products, microbial fertilizers, biomass waste : since when are microorganisms micro- or macrofungi, i.e. AMF- or ectomycorrhizal symbionts ?

4. Farms, more farms, agriculture, Agro-Environmental Sciences : where are the trees and (natural) forests, you keep referring to ?

5. Correction, there is one review of the effects of biochar and AMF on commercial, economical, short term life cycle forestry of trees, i.e. - surprise, surprise - wood (timber) production and - one could have expected this - of charcoal production :sneaky2:.

6. Crops, maize, more maize, corn, tomato and rice. And good to know I can supply my home grown vegetables with an aspirin (or pulverized shoots and bark of Salix) when they are feeling poorly and not growing very well.

7. Who do you think are behind these websites and what is their obvious, not very "hidden" agenda ? And why are the producers and resellers of charcoal so fanatic and focussed on short term "results", as if their life - and not that of trees - and good fortune depends on it :001_rolleyes: ?

Evaluating your "research" findings on the worldwideweb and in assuming you're the true field expert on tree species specific and forest ecosystems and their soil food webs, in which ectomycorrhizal macrofungi play a significant, if not the most important role, I - not being a "Para-Medic Gardener" or "Surgeon Chem-Engineer" - for my part end this "debate" on charcoal with the following conclusions :

- There is no evidence of positive effects of biochar (and commercial AMF-products) on trees or forests other then planted for commercial wood (timber) or charcoal production.

- There is no research at all on the effects of biochar on the soil food webs of tree species specific and (natural) forest ecosystems mainly depending on ectomycorrhizal symbionts.

- How can Quercus, Fagus, Betula, Populus, Salix, Alnus, Tilia, Carpinus, Castanea, Corylus, Pinus, Picea, Abies, Larix and Pseudotsuga, all of them being partners of ectomycorrhizal symbiotic macrofungi, profit from commercial AMF-products (and charcoal) ?

---

Like I said, its great having your expertise and knowledge on board, awesome.:lol:

i suppose thats where i should look myself and not say anything i wouldn't do myself

fair enough he may IMO been shot down in flames but as tony stated it is refreshing to see someone use literature in a debate to put across an point of view

i did manage to read one or two of the articles and should of read more, but the general census was his argument was heading in the same direction

i shall start backing up MY arguments with cited literature:thumbup:

fair enough he may IMO been shot down in flames but as tony stated it is refreshing to see someone use literature in a debate to put across an point of view

i shall start backing up MY arguments with cited literature:thumbup:

1) totaly, we all need to raise our game in that respect.

2) it aint cheap (£30.00 a pop) to get articles, unless your a student with an athens account, unless some kind soul can tell me how I can read so many papers without forking out hundreds of pounds a week doing so!:thumbdown: