Mycorrhiza

sean

would it be possible to have the reference for the articles which contained the conclusions you and your colleague drew on 'off the shelf mycorrhizal inocculants'.

Also as a slightly related follow up presumably you would not percieve similar reservations about the in vitro multiplication of specific native locally occuring (to the trees being treated) mycorrhizae to be reintroduced to the soil profile? (I am specifically thinking about the published work done by Francesco Ferrini et al.)

Sean,

Sorry, all in Dutch :

- Th. Kuyper. Mycorrhiza. Betekenis en toepassing in de boomverzorging. Centrum voor Bodemecologie, Wijster. Speech at the KPB-symposium in Borger, 28 September 1996.

G.J. Keizer & H. Sneep. Schimmels als boodschappers. Vitaliteit van bomen af te lezen aan zwammen. Tuin & Landschap 17e Jaargang nr. 24, November 1995, pages 16-19.

- G.J. Keizer & H. Sneep. Schimmels als boodschappers. Enkele parasitaire schimmels nader bekeken. Tuin & Landschap 18e Jaargang nr. 7, March 1996, pages 24-27.

- G.J. Keizer & H. Sneep. Schimmels als boodschappers. Enkele stamwond- en takparasieten nader bekeken. Tuin & Landschap 18e Jaargang nr. 10, May 1996, pages 52-55.

- G.J. Keizer & H. Sneep. De natuur doet het werk, de mens schept hooguit voorwaarden. Vraagtekens bij het toevoegen van mycorrhizavormende schimmels. Tuin & Landschap 19e Jaargang nr. 6, July 1997, pages 26-29.

In my opinion and as a result of own field research, there is no valid argument presented for the tree needing either in vitro or in situ "treatment" with "exotic" and/or indigenous and more or less tree species specific ectomycorrhizae. It really is the world upside down.

We maltreat trees by withholding them a proper space and soil food web, making going through the successive stages of a tree's life cycle impossible, and then give them a "quick start" by introducing already everywhere present mycorrhizae (ecological law of dispersion of spores) to their roots, speeding up and disturbing the natural dynamics of the tree species specific ecosystem and its symbiotic partners with yet unknown possible detrimental effects on the long run.

Ask yourself this question : how long will a producer or retailer of these products monitor the treated trees in situ to determine whether or not his preparations have been benificial to the tree ?

As long as we don't stop treating city and roadside trees as "throw away" infra-structural rest products, like a flower pot plant only needing a bit of water, oxygen and nutrients to survive the compared to their natural life cycle very short period, we have planned for their existence, we will "recycle" trees as semi-permanent objects to "decorate" our living environments with and never give a tree the "credits" it deserves for doing so much and so essential hard work for our survival as a species.

Read my closing text after my signature and you'll know where I (a forest ecologist and mycologist) am "coming from".

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou Gerrit (don't worry Dutch is ok).

As long as we don't stop treating city and roadside trees as "throw away" infra-structural rest products, like a flower pot plant only needing a bit of water, oxygen and nutrients to survive the compared to their natural life cycle very short period, we have planned for their existence, we will "recycle" trees as semi-permanent objects to "decorate" our living environments with and never give a tree the "credits" it deserves for doing so much and so essential hard work for our survival as a species.

Read my closing text after my signature and you'll know where I (a forest ecologist and mycologist) am "coming from".

Totally agree:thumbup1:...I don't have a neat signature that encompasses who I am and my perspective. but if you care to tap the link below you'll certainly get a feel for who I try to be.

The quote from you sounds uncomfortably like the concluding statements from one of my own presentations...hmmm perhaps I will have to include you in my acknowledgements now:biggrin:

Thankyou Gerrit (don't worry Dutch is ok).

Totally agree:thumbup1:...I don't have a neat signature that encompasses who I am and my perspective. but if you care to tap the link below you'll certainly get a feel for who I try to be.

The quote from you sounds uncomfortably like the concluding statements from one of my own presentations...hmmm perhaps I will have to include you in my acknowledgements now:biggrin:

I think its fair to say that those in the know all know the same thing, that the rhizosphere is the key to a healthy tree, so not surprising that many minds are starting to come at this from different angles of the same agenda.:thumbup:

Doing my soils modules in uni i originally thought urgh, whats that got to do with arb, well after doing a years worth of study in both soil science and soil technology i definately changed my mind:thumbup:

some good and interesting stuff on soils can be found here:thumbup:

Soil-Net.com - Soil-Net Case Studies

Pedosphere.com :: Global Soil Science Educators & Knowledge Managers

Soil Biodiversity Atlas

how it will go is eventualy the surrounding geology/ecology will restore.

Biochar /terra preta Lasted over 2000 years in the Amazon what time frame were you thinking of ?Biochar does not introduce mycorrhiza into the soil it holds moisture /raises PH and stops fertiliser leaching away whats not to like ?

Biochar /terra preta Lasted over 2000 years in the Amazon what time frame were you thinking of ?Biochar does not introduce mycorrhiza into the soil it holds moisture /raises PH and stops fertiliser leaching away whats not to like ?

Argh your talking tera petra! the soils discovered in the amazon:001_cool:

I haven't used myccor products for a very long time, total waste of time and money in my book [yes must update website] far better off using a bucket of soil from like for like healthy woodland tree, if at all in doubt about myccor but then without correct soil conditions will it develop? I doubt it!

Edited by Lee Winger

Biochar, an artificially produced medium, lasted over 2000 years in the Amazon :confused1: ?

And the argument for introducing terra preta, which rightfully may not be exported from the Amazon area, being ?

Maybe first read just a little bit on the European tree species specific ecosystems and their soil food webs before presenting yourself as an advocate (or reseller ?) of yet another commercial product.

---