Fistulina hepatica

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what relationship does colybia have in all this? for in my experience rarely are cankers associated here in the uk with the rot of this heart dwelling fistulina, where I come across the cambium issues they are almost exclusively associated with colybia fusipes which is the fungi In my experience doing the worst of the root and lower stem cambuim issues.

in these photos i suggest that colybia is the culprit, a root wound parasite and consumer of cambium only similar to armilaria but confined to cambium and at root and lower basal area. here we see little heartrot by fistulina, present no doubt, i suspect though. I will follow with a series of images that i think may help clarify my views or assit in having my view rectified.

it is almost always in grazing, high interaction sites associated with repeated root damge

59765aab49de0_Eppingforest2082010170.jpg.1ee3a43c3d853d458fa8d1cbbdf79e00.jpg

59765aab4ccd2_Eppingforest2082010200.jpg.5305301b3b4d1a39f478f17872280377.jpg

59765aab50a9e_Eppingforest2082010196.jpg.8450eb5e4b7d39937552306791f3c0c3.jpg

so what relationship does colybia have in all this? for in my experience rarely are cankers associated here in the uk with the rot of this heart dwelling fistulina, where I come across the cambium issues they are almost exclusively associated with colybia fusipes which is the fungi In my experience doing the worst of the root and lower stem cambium issues.

in these photos i suggest that colybia is the culprit, a root wound parasite and consumer of cambium only similar to armilaria but confined to cambium and at root and lower basal area. here we see little heartrot by fistulina, present no doubt, i suspect though. I will follow with a series of images that i think may help clarify my views or assit in having my view rectified.

it is almost always in grazing, high interaction sites associated with repeated root damage

Tony,

Again, very well documented :thumbup1: . And again only the photo's also showing Fistulina fruiting, show the bark necrosis and deformation associated with the mycelium of the "beefsteak" invading the cambium, apart from two photo's, one showing a massive necrotic cancer and the other one showing some lesser developed cancers as caused by Fistulina without the evidence of fruitbodies present.

On the question of interaction between Fistulina and Collybia fusipes I can give no (definite) answer as I don't have much experience with the effects of the latter one. What I can say, is that in the "fungal world" everything is possible, even some form of cooperation between two parasitic macrofungi within (the ecosystem of) the same tree, as you see a lot in beeches, but when competition for territory starts, they will fight one another with self-produced fungicides to prevent the other from entering their territory and if their fungicides are about equally effective, you will find black demarcation lines at the bounderies of their territories, like you can see in trunks of Betula where Piptoporus betulinus and Fomes fomentarius meet. And from the photo's also depicting Collybia one can derive, that Collybia doesn't produce necrotic cancers like Fistulina does, but leaves behind a "smoother" surface of the affected wood.

On top of this, one must bear in mind, that parasitic macrofungi are the process accelerators of the natural forest responsible for killing of trees, which have become parasites of their own tree species specific ecosystem, because they no longer mainly invest in "feeding" the total ecosytem by keeping most of their diminishing energy production for themselves for producing as many seeds as possible as a symptom of emergency reproduction - Quercus has energy absorbing acorns to "feed", which normally have an energy reserve for 5 years after germination - instead of being a "sugar daddy" for all other organisms active within their ecosytem.

And that is why only two percent of all European macrofungi is biotrophic parasitic, because in healthy and varied forests only a few trees at the time are old and sick and/or dying and "in need of" (cambium) killers to end the process of destruction of their tree species specific ecosystems before it's too late and totally destroyed by the tree.

By the way, which species is depicted in one of the last photo's : Arbotonyensis humanoides ?

Edited by Fungus

Tony,

Again, very well documented :thumbup1: . And again only the photo's also showing Fistulina fruiting, show the bark necrosis and deformation associated with the mycelium of the "beefsteak" invading the cambium, apart from two photo's, one showing a massive necrotic cancer and the other one showing some lesser developed cancers as caused by Fistulina without the evidence of fruitbodies present.

On the question of interaction between Fistulina and Collybia fusipes I can give no (definite) answer as I don't have much experience with the effects of the latter one. What I can say, is that in the "fungal world" everything is possible, even some form of cooperation between two parasitic macrofungi within (the ecosystem of) the same tree, as you see a lot in beeches, but when competition for territory starts, they will fight one another with self-produced fungicides to prevent the other from entering their territory and if their fungicides are about equally effective, you will find black demarcation lines at the bounderies of their territories, like you can see in trunks of Betula where Piptoporus betulinus and Fomes fomentarius meet. And from the photo's also depicting Collybia one can derive, that Collybia doesn't produce necrotic cancers like Fistulina does, but leaves behind a "smoother" surface of the affected wood.

On top of this, one must bear in mind, that parasitic macrofungi are the process accelerators of the natural forest responsible for killing of trees, which have become parasites of their own tree species specific ecosystem, because they no longer mainly invest in "feeding" the total ecosytem by keeping most of their diminishing energy production for themselves for producing as many seeds as possible as a symptom of emergency reproduction - Quercus has energy absorbing acorns to "feed", which normally have an energy reserve for 5 years after germination - instead of being a "sugar daddy" for all other organisms active within their ecosytem.

And that is why only two percent of all European macrofungi is biotrophic parasitic, because in healthy and varied forests only a few trees at the time are old and sick and/or dying and "in need of" (cambium) killers to end the process of destruction of their tree species specific ecosystems before it's too late and totally destroyed by the tree.

By the way, which species is depicted in one of the last photo's : Arbotonyensis humanoides ?

Do you want an apprentice!:blushing:

Do you want an apprentice!:blushing:

Tony,

Not one, as many as possible to plant the seeds and/or spores of and exchange information on the dynamics of tree species specific ecosystems and the macrofungi they depend on :thumbup: . As I said before, what benefit does one have of knowledge, if it isn't shared with others. So I just hope, we will attract lots of your collegues to visit this site and/or my thread and Album. Is there a possibility to show how often it is visited and "advertising" for it ?

Edited by Fungus

Tony,

Not one, as many as possible to plant the seeds and/or spores of and exchange information on the dynamics of tree species specific ecosystems and the macrofungi they depend on :thumbup: . As I said before, what benefit does one have of knowledge, if it isn't shared with others. So I just hope, we will attract lots of your collegues to visit this site and/or my thread and Album. Is there a possibility to show how often it is visited and "advertising" for it ?

now that you have said and sated that is your wish I am 110% certain that I and the site mods will be doing an awfull lot to ensure this happens, we didnt want to shout about you being here or pushing you away. i had got this impression of you, and you have my utter respect for it.

I think your going to have a rather profound impact on this topic, we are very priveledged to have you here and we will do everything we can to ensure your point and purpose of being here is fully utilised by all who can and will benifit from it.

IMO this is a great step forward in evolving arboricultures standpoint on fungi.

i wont say welcome to the team, rather hello boss, about time you took the chair!:thumbup: