Petzl Sequoia??

nicholi2789

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum but not to tree service and climbing. Anyways, up until now i've been using a buckinham classic master 2 saddle. It is very uncomfortable and does a real pinch job "delicate parts" spending six hours in a tree as some jobs require has been a very painful ordeal, and as you all know tree work is inherently dangerous and being distracted by gear pain is the last thing you need. Hence my decision to buy a new, better, and (hopefully) more comfortable harness. And after many weeks of reading reviews and shopping around i decided on the Petzl sequoia. I do a mixture of SRT, DRT, and spur climbing depending on the job. Could those of you who have experience with this saddle please give me your input on it? I'm wondering about comfort, funtionality, durabilty, and overall quality.

Thanks

comfort - 8/10 can pinch thighs after a while but not much, back strap is really comfy

functionality - 7/10 plenty tool strops but not adjustable, side d's are in good position though

durability - 9/10 had mine for 3 years now, 2 years day in day out solid work, can't fault it, nothing wrong with it

overall - 8/10 definatley one i would buy again (ps i have the non SRT harness but its only a couple of extra buts on it i think, and for the price (as in cheaper to the others) i can't really fault it

Alright, that's all really good to hear! One of my concerns if the leg clips. They are plastic, as im sure you know tree work can be really hard on gear. Plastic just seems like a bad idea on any tree gear. Dont get me wrong they are really convienient, (no more adjusting daily!) im just worried a sharp impact might break them. What do you think? And also, do you think that the strap inbetween the two bridge rings is strong enough by itself for life support on SRT? I'm sure it is or else they wouldn't produce it. I'm just worried that i might nick it with my chainsaw or my Silky Sugoi.. Should i double it up you think?

one of my work colleagues commented on the plastic but when i showed hum properly hpw the clips work he was impressed i think? Like i sad its had 2 years battering of nearly everday (bar weekends) use, still works as good (the clips) as the day i was bought,

as for the bridge strap, my kit has just been LOLER'd and it passed with flying colours i wouldn't double up but its personal preference on how safe you feel.

never once nicked my kit with either the chainsaw or silky, tis all about positioning and thinking about the cut, the bridge is perfectly safe or like you say they wouldn't put it on there!!

personally i like it but there are better harnesses out there for ME

But they are more money.

I think it is very good for the money but some dearer ones are better IMO

Ideally try before you buy:biggrin:

i have one, little over 2 years old now. theres a rip in the backpad but it doesnt affect the safety of the harness. all in all im well pleased with it, very comfy once set up properly. i wouldnt worry about the leg clips, i think any impact hard enough to break them, would probably be doing substantial damage to your leg aswell....the clip would likely be the least of your concerns then!

as for the srt question. the petzl sequioa srt version has a seperate attachment point for srt which you would use. but in answer to your question....the bridge between the 2 rings would be strong enough regardless if you chose you use that

I agree with the thoughts on the buckles' durabilty - aswell as knowing many who have never had a problem with the buckles, I know of no one who has managed to damage them through normal practice.

I retired my old Sequoia at Christmas and bought the SRT version from Jonesie. The SRT option is useful but nowhere near essential, especially when many of the set-ups (Frog etc.) provide an alternative way to pull a Croll up the rope. The time I find it of most use is when you've just shinned up a rope (SRT) and you're fixing a TIP. It's handy to have the SRT ascender out of the way as you set up your Hitchclimber on the bridge.

Good harness, i found the bridge wore very quickly on mine but could be(probably was) due to the fact i was using a paw plate on my bridge instead of a normal attatchment ring. Saying that the bridge from a dragonfly harness will fit onto those pimpy gold rings which i found sorted the problem.