post your motorbikes

WoodED

16 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Awesome bit of kit the likes of which we definitely won’t see again. A good investment too, easy 20k plus nowadays. 
Talking of 2 strokes the lads 125 KTM has nipped up big time, another job once onshore. 

E94EB22F-5D21-4B71-8BB9-28AFF11E45E3.jpeg

5F5DC36D-79E5-41B9-B3AB-8B15AF7ADF82.jpeg

The KTM bikes seem to hold real strong money dave must be real quality.

3 hours ago, topchippyles said:

The KTM bikes seem to hold real strong money dave must be real quality.

Goosed Les 

Probs thick end of a grand to sort, fast but fragile but I guess any 125 2stroke MX bike is gonna fit into that category. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, topchippyles said:

I am on the lookout for a new bike fancy a bandit 600. Not a speed freak just like a nice easy ride.

Bandits are good but getting increasingly difficult to find a nice one as because they were a cheap bike people abused them secondhand.

03 600 Fazer better, but fewer to choose from.

Don't rule out a CB500 either, so much better than you'd ever imagine a small parallel twin has any right to be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnsond said:

fast but fragile but I guess any 125 2stroke MX bike is gonna fit into that category. 

Not really, things don't go pop for no reason and any 2-stroke crosser should run a long time between rebuilds if everything is as it should be.

Have you any idea what triggered the destruction sequence.

I had a Suzuki bandit. Was a bit tatty when i had it but i soon did it up a bit. Nice bike but the loud exhaust ruined it. What on earth people want loud bikes for is beyond me. You could not go far on it, the racket used to piss me off no end so i sold it..

It looked nice though and was VERY clean for a 16 year old bike..

john..

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

Not really, things don't go pop for no reason and any 2-stroke crosser should run a long time between rebuilds if everything is as it should be.

Have you any idea what triggered the destruction sequence.

No idea I’m offshore but he’s hard on them for sure. , I’ll get a look once back. Define a long time !!, over the years I’ve had several well maintained 125.s let go whilst racing  including Gilera , Suzuki, KTM and Yamaha’s  , and 1 250f that was on a regime of a piston every 15hrs but never a 500 2t or 450f that’s dating back to racing ( new air filter every race, all engine and or gearbox oils changed every meeting so in reality 1hrs run time) since the early 80s and using bikes since mid to late 70s. 

Edited by Johnsond

Main problem with strokers is that people never change the big end bearing as you have to split the engine/gearbox and crankshaft to do it, so if they're changing a piston they feel the con rod for play at the bottom end and if there's none it'll get left alone. They don't realise that a big end bearing won't have any play right up to the point it disintegrates sending debris around the rest of the engine and trashing itself so you need to either change the big end bearing while it's still good (or rather, appears to be!), or accept that some day it will let go and grenade the engine.

Leaving that aside, any other failures in a stroker are generally down to a fault somewhere else, or in some cases poor quality parts used at a previous re-build.

Edited by coppice cutter

11 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

Bandits are good but getting increasingly difficult to find a nice one as because they were a cheap bike people abused them secondhand.

03 600 Fazer better, but fewer to choose from.

Don't rule out a CB500 either, so much better than you'd ever imagine a small parallel twin has any right to be.

Very open minded thanks for the input sir 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coppice cutter said:

Main problem with strokers is that people never change the big end bearing as you have to split the engine/gearbox and crankshaft to do it, so if they're changing a piston they feel the con rod for play at the bottom end and if there's none it'll get left alone. They don't realise that a big end bearing won't have any play right up to the point it disintegrates sending debris around the rest of the engine and trashing itself so you need to either change the big end bearing while it's still good (or rather, appears to be!), or accept that some day it will let go and grenade the engine.

Leaving that aside, any other failures in a stroker are generally down to a fault somewhere else, or in some cases poor quality parts used at a previous re-build.

I’ll bear that in mind, although I’ve managed just fine for a little while now, I use OEM or better components when doing work and don’t even attempt splitting a crank as it’s just easier to get a crank and rod kit. Piston nipped up on the exhaust port side it would seem looking at pics. A 125 with a good aggressive rider takes an absolute hammering during a race,  the number of DNFs we’ve had is not even in double figures and that’s with 4 sons racing and myself over the years. There’s loads of experts in the paddock too I’ve often found,    Often dishing out advice or talking bollocks depending on how you look at it to the guys whom have issues of which there is always a handful on any race day, end of the day even in F1 if you race and thrash kit you will get breakdowns, that’s just an accepted part of it. 

If I'm building an engine and supplying the parts then nowadays I use Mitaka parts from Grampian Motors wherever possible. It's not that everything else is shite necessarily, but there's dodgy stuff out there and Grampians stuff has never let me down.

I'd now pick it over Wiseco, ProX, Hot Rods, or any of them.

It's amazing how many blaggers can even be found in the BSB paddock, plenty of talk and a confident attitude can get you nearly anywhere it seems.