post your motorbikes

WoodED

19 minutes ago, stuckinthemud said:

Nice. A few of us went on a Sunday breakfast run from just outside of Cardiff to Brecon, one of us on a new Vfr 750, we split at the bottom of the Beacons he ran home via Defynog and Swansea then m4, we had a coffee at the burger van below Storey Arms then sauntered home at legal speeds. He was home before us....

God I've missed my visits to the Brecon Beacons. My favourite place in the whole of the UK. Always go at least once a year, even if it's only for the weekend. Love the place and love the roads. Haven't been since 2019 what with Covid. Last time I rode the Black Mountain pass end to end and back again five times on my KTM 1190 and boiled the rear brake fluid trail braking round the hairpins. It's a bit of a challenge on a bike like that. The bends are too tight and the straights too short to be gunning it between bends and then hitting the brakes. You get too much weight transfer. I found the best way was try and maintain pace smoothly and keep as much speed through corners as possible using gear selection and trail braking. I was timing myself at one point and making steady improvements when I had to stop for a breather at the Llangadog end and realising my rear calipre was about to melt I thought I'd better call it a day. 

I do hope I can get over there this year on the Superduke.   

Plus a couple of my oldies, a Fantic Caballero (excuse the mirrors) and DT175... still remember collecting the Fantic in 1974......not longer having to pedal my bike uphill....plus was able to ride it to London and Oxford to see friends....those were the days!!

000BFA0B.JPG

000C0C10.JPG

Edited by chopperpete
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, stuckinthemud said:

My bike list shows where my interest lies, my object of desire is a bmw 750/7, though a honda vfr750 could turn my head, but if you are used to riding a bike that thinks for you, then jumping on something old school, like a zzr or super blackbird or hayabusa could be an interesting and short experience 

The new 2021 'busa for you then! Not as fugly as it used to be either.

18 hours ago, AHPP said:

The other way to look at it it is that it’s lulling him into a false sense of security. If the tech fails, he dies. If he didn’t have the tech in the first place, he’d learn to ride within his limits (or die anyway; he is a motorcyclist after all).

I agree. 

Especially when I hear that Honda are introducing some Gyro tech to make it easier for people to ride. 
There has to be a degree of skill/practice / whatever. 

Else anyone could jump onboard and ride like Rossi....can you imagine the carnage?  People not used to the speed, or anticipating the consequences of their manoeuvres....  turns the whole operation into a computer game. 

Sticking with my pre 2000 and 1980's machines. I know my and their limits.

Armstrong mt500. This is not my bike, its a library photo but it is so exactly the same I checked the site in case someone was selling on my bike that was nicked,  even though it was pinched in '98.  Still miss it, even though I never got the knack for starting it and fell off it 3 times stopping too fast at traffic lights as my legs are too short. Stops had to be planned in advance . Checking the image, mine had del'orto carb and better forks

20210207_142843.jpg

Edited by stuckinthemud
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stuckinthemud said:

Armstrong mt500. This is not my bike, its a library photo but it is so exactly the same I checked the site in case someone was selling on my bike that was nicked,  even though it was pinched in '98.  Still miss it, even though I never got the knack for starting it and fell off it 3 times stopping too fast at traffic lights as my legs are too short. Stops had to be planned in advance . Checking the image, mine had del'orto carb and better forks

20210207_142843.jpg

Had one of these. Ex Sulatn of Brunei.s motorcycle display team.  Bought from a dealer in Stoke who had a dozen of them.
All white. No side stand. No ignition key. 

Fun. Used to ride into town and leave it leaning against  walls while I popped into shops.

Always asked...aren't you worried someone will nick it? 

I used to say...if you can start it you can have it!

A knack for sure with left hand starter and de-compressor.

Happy days green laning

• Like 3
  • Haha 1