post your motorbikes

WoodED

17 hours ago, Stubby said:

I agree here . Its a bit like 2 ropes and a strop then a mewp . The skill in " feeling " what the rubber is doing , what the suspension is doing etc etc will eventually be lost .  I have never had electronic help , traction control , wheely control etc etc . If I fcuk up its down to me so I make sure I learn from the bike . I think ( and its just my opinion ) that most riders reach their limit before they reach the limit of the bike . If this happens they can create a situation that does not need to happen .  I am an old git of 68 now but was always at the front of the " fast group " at the track day . Old Stubby back in 2005 . Honda.thumb.jpg.34c826aaec40c768b79a3d159f4d3c18.jpg

You old bugger   :D  K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What it importantly does is keeps him alive by the sound of things. Without those aids it sounds like he would have been over the tank or wrapped around a tree ages ago.

The other way to look at it it is that it’s lulling him into a false sense of security. If the tech fails, he dies. If he didn’t have the tech in the first place, he’d learn to ride within his limits (or die anyway; he is a motorcyclist after all).
  • Like 1

The other way to look at it it is that it’s lulling him into a false sense of security. If the tech fails, he dies. If he didn’t have the tech in the first place, he’d learn to ride within his limits (or die anyway; he is a motorcyclist after all).

Thems the risks as they say.

Just found this thread,  had to give up bikes when child number 2 arrived, was always so slow I couldn't even see the back of the slow group. Miss riding so bad it hurts but love my wife more, keep posting. I had (in order) mz scorpion 125, cb250 restored from 2 boxes of bits, armstrong 500 (ex army race team blueprinted, custom carb, nicked from outside work) and gpz500s.

Rider aids?! What happens when your mate jumps on a zzr1100?

Edited by stuckinthemud

3 hours ago, stuckinthemud said:

Rider aids?! What happens when your mate jumps on a zzr1100?

I hear what you are saying but , A ZZR1100 is only 145BHP and handles like  a broken toilet seat .  Most current 1000cc sports bikes make in excess 200BHP and don't  weigh much more than a 600cc .  EG  The current Blade is around 2017  BHP and weighs four fifths of fcuk all .

My bike list shows where my interest lies, my object of desire is a bmw 750/7, though a honda vfr750 could turn my head, but if you are used to riding a bike that thinks for you, then jumping on something old school, like a zzr or super blackbird or hayabusa could be an interesting and short experience 

15 minutes ago, stuckinthemud said:

My bike list shows where my interest lies, my object of desire is a bmw 750/7, though a honda vfr750 could turn my head, but if you are used to riding a bike that thinks for you, then jumping on something old school, like a zzr or super blackbird or hayabusa could be an interesting and short experience 

It could indeed . I have mostly been a sports bike person . I did have a VFR 750FK back in the day but, of course I had to fiddle with it .  TTS BIG BORE kit taking it out to 837cc ( masses of torque ) Extended gear box output shaft  to correct the chain run for CBR 1000 wheels and my own ram air system ( The ram air system made it run like a pig so reverted back to design intent )  Oh and I made the exhaust system . 5976708b2b614_Honda2.jpg.d42718ad8b28ed09b7f199d9606adb26.jpg

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 5

Nice. A few of us went on a Sunday breakfast run from just outside of Cardiff to Brecon, one of us on a new Vfr 750, we split at the bottom of the Beacons he ran home via Defynog and Swansea then m4, we had a coffee at the burger van below Storey Arms then sauntered home at legal speeds. He was home before us....

• Like 1

Electronic rider aids are a neat way for manufacturers to load the price and play the optional extras game at very little cost to themselves. 

The only aid I think is genuinely useful for road riding is lean-sensitive ABS, which first appeared on the KTM 1190 Adv. In theory it prevents the front from tucking under panic braking when leant over. I say genuinely useful because this scenario is one of the most common causes of cornering crashes. 

But IMO it's far better to learn to ride properly in the first place so you don't get in that position. If your observation and road reading is good you'll be on top of your braking before you go into the bend and you won't be panic braking. And if an unexpected hazard appears you won't target fixate because you'll instinctively look through the hazard and the bend and ride smoothly for the exit.

Many electronic gizmos on bikes are track derived. Good track riders usually cut their teeth on the road on bikes with no electronic aids. they have both track and road skill sets. But nowadays with bikes dumbed down it's to easy too few inexperienced riders understand that track and road riding are radically different disciplines and too many who will never ride anywhere but the road think track skills are what they need to be fast road riders. They're trying to run before they can walk and using electronics to paper over the cracks in their ability. 

Fast (and safe) road riding demands a skill set every bit as technical as fast track day riding and it cannot be mastered unless you're properly connected to the bike and what's happening underneath you. The masters of road riding are the police and you can bet when they set off on a high speed pursuit they don't wind the TC up to 9 beforehand just to be on the safe side.