post your motorbikes

WoodED

• 1 month later...

On 14/10/2020 at 20:27, Gimlet said:

My collection over the last five years.

The Triumph was traded in for the Ducati Streetfighter, which I've still got. The Superduke was a new buy and still got it. The SMT was sold to buy the 1190 Adv. Still got that too and it's probably the best bike I've ever owned.

Want to add a big cruiser at some stage, probably a Triumph Thunderbird Storm. And I'd like a KTM RC8R. 

916759161_DSC00145-Copy.JPG.f6ec4724bf088a756c5e05112e2c1aa0.JPG

DSC00359.JPG.c3f8f495472ec6fdebf73009c746a849.JPG

DSC00797.JPG.28fcb6ff497963f8029a42a1705b9c59.JPG

DSC00651.JPG.667d0ff5164f85e9eb57ab89dc4fcb66.JPG

DSC01196.thumb.JPG.0a08a096946cd3d79b341b699046dfc8.JPG

I have a 1290 sdr myself, evo tune, what a bike!

Mine will be getting a stage 3 DNA airbox with Motohooligan intakes and a custom map at Moto Corsa. They can also trim the progressive throttle ramp. I will have mine as close to 1:1 as is bearable. Basically want it to feel like the throttle is connect directly to the back tyre. Can't wait.. 

3 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Mine will be getting a stage 3 DNA airbox with Motohooligan intakes and a custom map at Moto Corsa. They can also trim the progressive throttle ramp. I will have mine as close to 1:1 as is bearable. Basically want it to feel like the throttle is connect directly to the back tyre. Can't wait.. 

I happen to be watching this in the other window as I read your post. Interesting stuff on tuning for sanity, including throttle ratios.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 1

My Ducati has a 1:1 cable throttle. It will bite you if you're careless but on the flip side, the connection is so good, unless you fall asleep you're not likely to be careless because you can feel right through your body every bit of power you feed in and you know what's happening at the back wheel all the time.

The gen 1 SDRs have a very woolly throttle connection. You have to dig deeper into the throttle than is intuitive to find the power. It's all there but it feels like there's a lag between what you ask for and what you get, so you you dig deeper into the twist grip, which your instincts tells you not to do, and then bang, there it is.

It's designed to stop ham-fisted riders (who've become reliant on electronic rider aids) skying the front wheel accidentally. But I actually think it's more dangerous when you really want to ride the bike hard because the communication between rear wheel, throttle and brain isn't there. 

Edited by Gimlet

My Ducati has a 1:1 cable throttle. It will bite you if you're careless but on the flip side, the connection is so good, unless you fall asleep you're not likely to be careless because you can feel right through your body every bit of power you feed in and you know what's happening at the back wheel all the time.

The gen 1 SDRs have a very woolly throttle connection. You have to dig deeper into the throttle than is intuitive to find the power. It's all there but it feels like there's a lag between what you ask for and what you get, so you you dig deeper into the twist grip, which your instincts tells you not to do, and then bang, there it is.
It's designed to stop ham-fisted riders (who've become reliant on electronic rider aids) skying the from wheel accidentally. But I actually think it's more dangerous when you really want to ride the bike hard because the communication between rear wheel, throttle and brain isn't there. 

Most modern conveniences end up being dangerous by infantilising people. The electronic throttle on my mum’s car will one day kill me. You push the accelerator pedal and get the power about half a second later, by which time you’ve already let the clutch up and are wondering why you’re stalling whilst rolling into a junction you wanted to nip into. It won’t kill her because she’s the type of life-passenger these things are designed to please and appease. She’s learnt to artlessly pin it and then think about the clutch, like a learner having their first go.

I know a lad who pins his S1000rr in bends and lets the electronics sort it all out for him. 

After a ride he spools through his onboard data-logger and points proudly to the number of times the TC kicked in during the ride. He thinks he's demonstrating what a mighty powerful beast his bike is, when in fact it's showing how many times he lost control and was bailed out by a box with wires sticking out of it.

I did point out once after one of these rides that I had been right on his tail the whole time on my SDR and my TC is turned off. He didn't see the significance at all..

Edited by Gimlet

5 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

I know a lad who pins his S1000rr in bends and lets the electronics sort it all out for him. 

After a ride he spools through his onboard data-logger and points proudly to the number of times the TC kicked in during the ride. He thinks he's demonstrating what a mighty powerful beast his bike is, when in fact it's showing how many times he lost control and was bailed out by a box with wires sticking out of it.

I did point out once after one of these rides that I had been right on his tail the whole time on my SDR and my TC is turned off. He didn't see the significance at all..

I agree here . Its a bit like 2 ropes and a strop then a mewp . The skill in " feeling " what the rubber is doing , what the suspension is doing etc etc will eventually be lost .  I have never had electronic help , traction control , wheely control etc etc . If I fcuk up its down to me so I make sure I learn from the bike . I think ( and its just my opinion ) that most riders reach their limit before they reach the limit of the bike . If this happens they can create a situation that does not need to happen .  I am an old git of 68 now but was always at the front of the " fast group " at the track day . Old Stubby back in 2005 . Honda.thumb.jpg.34c826aaec40c768b79a3d159f4d3c18.jpg

• Like 13

It’s an interesting one. On one hand he’s demonstrating the bikes technology which is mind blowing for sure.
On the flip side he’s showing a lack of skill as a rider in comparison to his riding buddies.

If you were to hop on his bike and ride with the aids no doubt you would leave him for dust if you keep up without the technology and rely on skill. Combine the two and he’d be blown into the weeds .....

What it importantly does is keeps him alive by the sound of things. Without those aids it sounds like he would have been over the tank or wrapped around a tree ages ago. I guess for him it’s good though. He can ride his bike and feel like Rossi when he gets off and he enjoys it.

Those of us with a little more talent can smile inwardly knowing the truth of it. Never pays to rub it in too much though.

The thing is it keeps you all riding together and enjoying it. Bikes are a bit of escapism from life aren’t they. If you can do it with your mates all the better.

I agree here . Its a bit like 2 ropes and a strop then a mewp . The skill in " feeling " what the rubber is doing , what the suspension is doing etc etc will eventually be lost .  I have never had electronic help , traction control , wheely control etc etc . If I fcuk up its down to me so I make sure I learn from the bike . I think ( and its just my opinion ) that most riders reach their limit before they reach the limit of the bike . If this happens they can create a situation that does not need to happen .  I am an old git of 68 now but was always at the front of the " fast group " at the track day . Old Stubby back in 2005 . Honda.thumb.jpg.34c826aaec40c768b79a3d159f4d3c18.jpg

Must be more knee replacement than knee down these days Stubby [emoji13]

Nice picture. Hope it’s up on a wall somewhere at home. [emoji106]
  • Like 2