need a chance to work.

pault

Hi guys, Im new to the industry and have been searching for work since sept last year but its proving really hard. Based in Hay-on-Wye mid Wales. I have CS30/31, first aid at work, 5 day mountain first aid, all my own PPE and own ground saw. Also a climbing instructor and rope access technician so am looking to do CS38/39 this year but need a job to pay for it. Im very hard working, dont complain, not afraid of long hours and good at working in a team. I am currently working as a freelance outdoor activity instructor, dealing with stag and hen dos as well as kids so a sense of humour is very important there! Willing to travel as am self employed at the moment so nothing to tie me down as such. Please can someone help or point me in the direction of someone who can. Any replies will very much appreciated. Also will do volunteer work if needed.

Cheers guys.

If you want to get into tree work then I'm afraid that graft and application are the only thing that works. Get out the yellow pages and ring everyone listed. Get on the computer and start looking at the jobs advertised here, arbjobs, earborist. Then consider Horti week, Forestry Journal and other trade magazines at their "sits vac"

Good luck with your search, hope you find something.

Still no luck on the hunt. will keep at it. Have booked myself on a CS38 course next week. Do you think that will boost my chances of finding a job? Like i said iv been working with ropes etc for years. Trained for a cliff rescue team and have performed resues on the forth rail bridge. So its right down my street. haha. any help would be great guys. cheers.

Hi there good luck with your search for work . It is hard to begin with but if you don't give up then it will happen for you .It did for me and it was the best thing I have ever done persistence and determination will pay off for you in the end , as you have your own saw start off by doing some small jobs for friends and anyone that needs some cutting up doing . it will help you gain exp and make a few bob along the way . it is hard in the summer but as soon as Oct arrives then the tree work picks up with company's and they then want staff . a tip for work in the summer If you have a good strimmer will get you lots of work doing the cutting back and clearance stuff for people .

I notice from your post you are a rope access tec . I am also a rope access level one and I have just finished a big 7 week contract in Scotland ,the chainsaw tickets got me in onto the job ,most of the time I had to do the rock job but before the job started I had to do all the de veg on the top bottom and on the face . for this yo don't need cs38 or 39 only 30/31 it sounds strange but this is how it is in rope access when it comes to the chainsaw work and tickets . it might be worth ringing round your rope access company's and explain to them you have your chainsaw tickets but if you want just tree work then this would not be the option to go down as most of the job is not tree work.

All the best Littletree:thumbup:

Cheers mate, words of wisdom. Yeah im from Glasgow and did my rope access training in Scotland. didnt realise i didnt need cs38/39 for the rope access side of it. Will look into that. All the best bud.

I've been in your position for the last 7 months down in Cornwall and its taken some time but I got bits and pieces of work from ringing round the Yellow Pages, emailing and making myself available on here, I even went to London and Norwich for work!!

It's all good experience that counts at the end of the day and it will pay off if your hungry enough and willing to go that extra bit once you get onsite. It might not be permanent but, like PeteB said, if you work hard and have a good attitude then you should at least get a good reference on the back of it which may well get you that next job you apply for.

I've just got a job with a Utilities company down here after a lot of ringing and emailing and filling out applications and doing the odd day/week here there and everywhere.

Good Luck and stay positive.

Hi mate

38 would definately be worth doing. I'm over in Gloucestershire, dont have anything for you at the moment but if you can let me know your number then i'll certainly keep you in mind. Most of our work is in the Cotswolds, dont know if its to far for you??