local wildlife (fur,feathers and beasties)

Adam Bourne

Yes exactly that, I doubt any here think other than you both did good in rescuing the birds.

She left this evening. Flew up to an oak tree, stayed up there for a while and then went. Will probably see her tomorrow. Her parents are around and about during the day.

If I was going to get a bird for hunting it would need to be a goshawk to take on the squirrels.
  • Like 6

That first sighting is spectacular.  Here's a variation though - the Lesser PE - which for me is even more beautiful.  Distinguished primarily by the 2 eyespots on the top wing as well as the lower.  Same butterfly in both pics by the way !

The one I would really like to see is the Poplar Admiral - absolutely stunning
IMG_4254.thumb.JPG.ec70c0ace5706e7be0ecbbf2269a6beb.JPG
IMG_4244.thumb.JPG.f2ef9e24d93b66d9081b9f427c720ad8.JPG

Gorgeous looking butterfly. That would be a site.

On 02/07/2022 at 19:21, AJStrees said:

I think the badgers had been at this nest. I was about to start milling up an old oak log when I noticed this nest to it.

E4F3DF86-643F-4234-BF9C-EF114BF24BC8.thumb.jpeg.5edc808d1e0e722a3303b44347612a3b.jpeg

Hi AJ

Could be completely wrong (i often am !) but I think what you have here is a Median wasp nest rather than your regular wasp - they are becoming increasingly common but as wasps go fairly docile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABtrees said:

Hi AJ

Could be completely wrong (i often am !) but I think what you have here is a Median wasp nest rather than your regular wasp - they are becoming increasingly common but as wasps go fairly docile.

Funny you should mention that. Yes they were very pale coloured and their shape was different to the common wasp. You are probably right. 👍

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Book lice ??

I agree - sort of - first I thought they were Bark Aphids - but after a bit more digging decided they are Bark Lice (which may be the same as book lice ????).  Apparently good for the trees in as much as they eat rotten and decaying matter, fungi etc.  They also weave a silk web for protection - but I didn't see that.  Anyone else come across them ?

1 hour ago, ABtrees said:

I agree - sort of - first I thought they were Bark Aphids - but after a bit more digging decided they are Bark Lice (which may be the same as book lice ????).  Apparently good for the trees in as much as they eat rotten and decaying matter, fungi etc.  They also weave a silk web for protection - but I didn't see that.  Anyone else come across them ?

I was aware of their existence but not seen any, I was given an insect book a month back from an old chap who moved into a care home, and looked them up, very little on them other than they are wingless members of pscocoptera family troctidae but none of the images show the markings from your photo.