local wildlife (fur,feathers and beasties)

Adam Bourne

• 2 weeks later...

On 28/04/2020 at 14:57, Darrin Turnbull said:

My first Wasp Beetle.

8F275280-6BAB-4154-91DD-D4002F73CB8C.jpeg

Mad little feckers, all over this oak stem we felled for the commune.

Never seen them before and here they where in the dozens.

Gave me the willies at first until I realised they were just mimics.

Stuart

IMG_20210714_170423.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Mad little feckers, all over this oak stem we felled for the commune.

Never seen them before and here they where in the dozens.

Gave me the willies at first until I realised they were just mimics.

Stuart

IMG_20210714_170423.jpg

Hi Stuart

Yeah they really get you going the first time you come across them - I was convinced I was about to be very badly stung - again!

Do you have any other / clearer pictures ? 

Whilst the whole group are 'wasp beetles' I am curious as to what you have actually found.  Pretty sure that they are Plagionotus (rather than Clytus Arietis ) but I don't think they are P.Arcuatus  (wrong yellow/black pattern). They might be P. Detritus or possibly P. Scalaris - or maybe not ?!!!! 

I know there are people far more knowledgeable than me on here so hopefully one of them will jump in and clarify what you've got.

AB.

Edited by ABtrees

1 hour ago, ABtrees said:

Hi Stuart

Yeah they really get you going the first time you come across them - I was convinced I was about to be very badly stung - again!

Do you have any other / clearer pictures ? 

Whilst the whole group are 'wasp beetles' I am curious as to what you have actually found.  Pretty sure that they are Plagionotus (rather than Clytus Arietis ) but I don't think they are P.Arcuatus  (wrong yellow/black pattern). They might be P. Detritus or possibly P. Scalaris - or maybe not ?!!!! 

I know there are people far more knowledgeable than me on here so hopefully one of them will jump in and clarify what you've got.

AB.

Same image but redacted.

I've an 11sec video too but Arbtalk won't do up loads.

Stuart

Screenshot_2021-09-26-15-07-31-764_com.miui.gallery.jpg

6 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Found a bat in the processing stack, safely relocated to the scrap pile.

DSC_1092.thumb.JPG.d9dc05cb7301dcc1d635cda3483197a9.JPG

Splendid . Saw one flying around inside Durham catherdral this week , bugger vanished by time I got camera working - staff say they live in the wooden ceiling of the cloisters . K

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Splendid . Saw one flying around inside Durham catherdral this week , bugger vanished by time I got camera working - staff say they live in the wooden ceiling of the cloisters . K

Nice. I used to look after a big old building and regularly had to meet Police for alarm calls caused by a bat inside, just opened the door and they would quickly find their way out.

You on holiday Khriss?

12 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Nice. I used to look after a big old building and regularly had to meet Police for alarm calls caused by a bat inside, just opened the door and they would quickly find their way out.

You on holiday Khriss?

I was  ;) tour of castles and arboretumn in Northumberland ( where oddly there is plenty of petrol ! ) Alnwick castle and gardens was amazing - Earl Grey arboretumn is massive . Just didnt have enuff time to do everything . K

Durham Cathedral Globe.jpg

Edited by Khriss
Pic found
  • Like 4