local wildlife (fur,feathers and beasties)

Adam Bourne

34 minutes ago, nepia said:

That's a great haul.

I'll bid Brimstone Moth, Large and Small Elephant Hawks and a Buff Tip in there.  Pic 4 may well be a Carpet. Am I close?!

I'll definitely give you the Elephant Hawks, Buff Tip and maybe the Carpet Moth. There were so many names flying about I totally lost track.

I think the green one might have been an Emerald Moth but could have been a Brimstone. One of the guys is going to send me a full list.

Chanced upon another elusive character the other day, a Purple Emperor butterfly. The mad butterfly botherers spend a fortune concocting strange pheromone mixes to attract them down from the canopy. Turns out all you really need is a pile of discarded gaffa tape in an old shipping container!

621655425_purpleemporer.thumb.jpg.e95193a0fbccb32e73dc8bde1ba0c162.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Apparently not fussed which of the olive family it lives on but identified by a young friend as a Privet Hawk Moth , living on ash with dieback we were felling, it moved too fast for me to show its size but the biggest moth I have ever seen and the first time.

privet.jpeg

• Like 7

17 hours ago, nepia said:

That's special and you've captured the purple sheen fantastically.

I believe rotting meat is also irresistible to them ?

Thanks Nepia,

My colleague Steve clocked it whilst we were locking up.

Apparently rancid shrimp and dog poo are also Purple Emperor favourites, it's a weird beastie!

• 2 weeks later...

Arachnophobes beware! ?

I've been through most, but not all, of this thread so apologies if you've had these before. 

Cave Spiders (Meta) are one of the biggest UK species (although shiny, not hairy). I didn't show my Mrs these pics ?!!

They prefer to live in complete darkness and these days are occasionally discovered, as the name suggests, in caverns and man-made underground structures (as here) such as culverts and drainage alcoves.

However, it's thought that the traditional haunt was old, hollowed-out standing timber like the oak in the other shot. So it's possible you may encounter them.

There are two species so alike you need an experienced, microscope-wielding expert to tell them apart: Meta menardi and the rarely-recorded, Meta bournetii. These pics show the latter.

They have beautiful gleaming bodies resembling gem stones.

If it's any comfort to any arachnophobes reading, they seem very placid critters and tend to stay motionless - even when a camera lens looms closely over them. 

Cheers

Ben

IMG_4438.JPG

IMG_7717 (2).JPG

IMG_4434.JPG

• Like 6