Terminology tips for a novice please!

tree888

Hi there, this is my first post so here goes........and I’m afraid these are going to be very naive questions. I am about to get my hands on a Fuelwood Kindlet and have a ready source of local community buyers for the finished kindling but I have to admit that I am struggling with sourcing the raw materials. To be even more specific, I am struggling with what to ask for! I have a cross-cutter to create the 6” rounds so need an initial batch of, say, 20 tonnes of hardwood/softwood logs around 2m long. Therefore my questions are:

1) What should I be asking for? Is it cordwood?

2) I am assuming that softwood will be easier to get my hands on but roughly how much would I expect to pay roadside in the south-east?

Grateful for any advice. Cheers. :001_smile:

I would not worry about terminology too much, everybody uses different terms for the same things. Asking for 6' logs would be a good start, and you will get about 20 m3 on a lorry, which will translate to somewhere between 12-18 tonnes depending on moisture content, and species. When you are buying i would stick to volume as this is a constant and does not change. To work out volume use:

Pie* D2/40000*L

D2= diameter squared

L= Length

At some point you will get taken for a ride, so learn from it, we have all been there so don't worry

all the best

:thumbup: