fitting new tape to logging tape?

Chris Sheppard

Just dug out my tapes from the shed and need to fit a new refill into the one I prefer using as it's pretty mullered and barely legible.

I'm sure there's a proper way of doing it but all I've ever done is leave it all intact and wind the drum back by hand as I've alwasy been in the wood when I've done it and seemed to remember last time someone took one to bits there were springs and tiny screws strewn everywhere.

One is an "original Logger" by Spencer and the other is pretty much identical but has a differnet style outer cover and says made in England on the back.

Does anyone have any instructions they could scan and email me or a link to some online?

Ta,

Chris

Hi Chris

hold the spring cover and slacken the circle of screws around outer cover gently release spring it will wizz around if your not carefull take fiddley little screw out of centre that holds the tape in replace and hold tape out while you wind the spring back up to tension and tighten screws.

Ewen

I've got a few to change i hate things withs springs and tiny screws. They normally unwind go everywhere and break.

Same here tapes are the more infuriating bits of kit that you cant live with and cant live without and when they break they are a pain to get working again. I'm going to get a husky one next week they seem pretty bombproof.

Same here tapes are the more infuriating bits of kit that you cant live with and cant live without and when they break they are a pain to get working again. I'm going to get a husky one next week they seem pretty bombproof.

Not had a Husky one yet. Currently got a Bacho one despite being in feet only and made of plastic its held up very well. No problems with it and it was very cheap.

• 4 months later...

Managed to snap one completely and the other has got some black tape holding it together at the mo before it snaps.

Do you need a special tool for the rivets? Also, do you need to splice a bit in either side of the break?

I've been being really careful not to kink it but still don't seem to be able to do more than a few weeks at a time without damaging one - can remember why I hate usign them so much :sneaky2:

chris, if you do figure it out could you post complete instructions with helpful tips, colour photos and full size diagrams so as we can fix ours too. thanks.

spencers are good tapes but none last very long do they.

my only advice here is to use a sterile room with a white floor and zero gravity so you can find that little bit that flew out...