What can I do?

grim72

As you may know, I'm nowt to do with trees, other than the fact that I like them and this forum (just call me weird). I'm after some advice, I got home form work last night to be faced with the fact that some little toe rag had decided to swing on the tree (just coming into blossom) in our garden and has snapped the trunk at the base. I'm fairly sure it will be beyond repair? If not, what should/could I do to try and rescue it?

If it is a goner then how could/would I go about dealing with it and ideally replacing it with a fruit tree?

I'm tempted to use the place as a deserving burial ground for the little git that did it but don't suppose I can get away with that!

Money is tight at the moment so if there's something I can do by myself all the better.

IMAG0068.jpg.d4bd1c553b6c3c6bec369a42461134e8.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg.c62927db94b0f9dbad2c8f24bdf758bf.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg.6182f59c1e2b69b4f81000562a596788.jpg

Yep, that tree's a goner I'm sorry to say :thumbdown:.

Even if the local yout' hadn't vandalise your tree, it was still on it's last legs. There is a lot of dead wood in the crown and very few flowers or new growth and the base of the tree shows extensive decay that has seriously weakened the trunk. One of the most common initial cases for that type of decay is damage from strimmers or lawn mowers when the grass is being cut.

Are you able to remove the tree yourself? It will be reasonably easy to grub out the remains of the trunk and larger roots as it is so decayed. You can then use the larger bits of wood to create a wildlife pile somewhere at the back of your garden :thumbup1:

Add lots of compost to the soil and you're ready to replant. It's now past the dormant season when it's best to plant trees, but if you are prepared to water your new sapling regularly and use plenty of mulch then you should be able to replant straight away.

What do you have in mind to replace it with? Do you want any suggestions?

I was thinking of maybe an apple or plum tree of some description, has to be something that doesnt grow too big though and is relatively low maintenance. But yes, suggestions are welcome - nothing too pricey though. Thanks for the help guys. Bearing in mind I have never removed a tree, what do I need to do? Do I just take a saw to it and then a spade to dig out the roots as best as I can - not sure if this is 'grubbing out'? Ignorance is bliss eh?

Grubbing out = sweating and possibly swearing profusely while using a mattock, or axe even, to dig ("grub") out the larger tree roots.

A job that's best given to young relatives who are after some extra pocket money :biggrin:.

Do you have access to a bowsaw to cut up the tree? Failing that, even a teneson (if that's how it's spelt :blushing:) should be able to deal with a small tree like yours.

"Grubbing out" does mean manually digging out the roots. A mattock would be the ideal tool for this. But if you have'nt got one then a spade and a bit of grunt will do the job. A pick if you've got one may help to lever out some of the more resistant roots. looking at the size of the tree in your pics I would say you should be able to cut that with any half decent saw. By the looks of the amount of decay, you'll only be cutting through half the width! In fact if you bend it in the opposite direction it will probably snap off anyway..... job done!!

Afterwards top up the hole with a mix of fresh topsoil and some good peat free compost. A good handful of fish blood and bone added to the hole when replanting, a nice thick layer of compost as mulch around the base of the tree and then water, water, water your new tree regularly until you see good vigourous growth, and then through any prolonged dry periods.

When selecting a new tree, at this time of year you need to be buying a container grown tree, not bare root stock. A half decent garden centre will probably have a selection of apple/plum trees from £25-£40. These commercially grown trees are usually pretty low maintenance once in the ground. As to their size, you need to read the label and check to see if they provide the relevant information regarding the tree's rootstock. Most fruit trees are grafted onto a specific root stock which dictates their mature height and spread.

For example "M27" (extremely dwarfing) rootstock on an apple tree, will produce a mature tree not much taller than 6-7ft. For a plum you would be looking for a tree with a "pixy" (semi-dwarfing) rootstock.

This link to RHS website gives a bit more info on rootstocks. https://apps.rhs.org.uk/AdviceSearch/profile.aspx?PID=359

Hope this helps.

Some great advice, thanks. Being the lazy/knackered/busy bloke (take your pick) that I am, if I did ask a 'pro' to come in to grub out and plant a replacement tree what kind of price would I expect to pay for a job like this (assuming I supplied the tree)? I'm based up in Fife if anyone fancies it by the way :001_smile:

A "pro" would turn up with a stump grinder and it would be gone in 5 minutes, costing probably whatever thier minimum charge is. Ous is £80. You would be left with a hole, full of stumpgrindings which you could then plant a tree in yourself at your leisure. Next winter would be best for planting and by then the stump grinding will have diminished back into soil nicely.

I feel like the school thicko here. If they use a stump grinder will that remove the roots as well? Might call around, see if there is anyone local we can call a favour in from. Maybe I could just swing the scroat that did it and whack the stump into the ground with his head?