Efficiency of firewood production

David Riding

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you know that it depends on the size of the timber. The 10" timber needs to be quartered then cut, on the processor it takes the same amount of time as 4", 8" etc and the processor reduces the number of times it's handled (big time if the conveyor feeds direct to storage bin/barn).

For a rough guide a mate and I did 11-12 tons / 28 bulk bags (cut to 18", bagged and stacked) over the weekend on a basic processor (includes fitting new drive belts, fetching mates processor/tractor etc). This was with the less than ideal timber that tree work produces.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a machine at the APF:001_tt1:

If you have a PTO saw bench and horizontal splitter, how much longer does it take to produce firewood than with a basic processor.

processor will always be quicker because of the handling aspect and the conveyor belt.

currently i split 10 cubic meters a day and i take it easy.

the larger the diameter upto the max the the processor can handle, the faster the bag will fill, also the longer the log the less cuts you need to do.

a bulk bag is around 3/4 a cubic meter so well done treedave but they were 18" long, mine are 10"long so i do an extra cut per log.

does this help?

Firewoodman,

What processor(s) are you running / recommend? I've been advised to get one with a circ saw not a chainsaw - what do you think?

10 cube per day sounds like a good days work, I know that after the 2 days at the weekend I wasn't up for anymore!

10" is more cutting and more logs to a bag but my stove takes 18" and if I get some orders I can run out an order at 9" - horses for courses as ever

May be better when I get a poly tunnel sorted to 'hot house" the logs in (No bagging / stacking etc).

Which bulk bags are 3/4 a cube? The loader had a gauge on it, 400-450 kgs for the mesh bags, 300-350 kgs for the ex-builders bags.

i have both a circular saw10" diam and a chainsaw one 16"

iwould'nt recommend any processor above any other as i have only used 4 in my time.

they all have thier good and bad points but i do feel certain ones are overpriced , and some are built stronger than others.

i can however recommend companies on their customer care and after service (essential imo)

the only difference imo between the saws is the amount of sawdust produced, you get more with a chainsaw, but you can easily sharpen a chainsaw if you hit a nail or wire in the wood. circular saw cuts quicker but expensive to replace blade.

i'd love a polytunnel. have you tried the vented log bags?

excellent for me!

I've got some of the vented bags (probably going to get some more - waiting on a quote) but I'm short of drying space in the yard. Thought a poly tunnel in the old midden (after a dam good clean out!) would let me have a good heap under cover in a warmed / windy atmosphere, and somewhere to keep a processor out of the worst of the weather.

I've only dealt with Fuelwood (for a splitter) and they've been great, might go for a 16" chainsaw processor from them. It's down to price at the moment as I can't see much difference between the Japa and Hakkie pilke machines at the mo

japa and hakkie are now owned by the same holding company and are more or less the same machines.

i highly recommend both main dealers for reasons said before, have no complaints and all problems sorted and spares arrive in next to no time.

when i bought my heizohack richard and staff went above and beyond (after hours) when it brokedown whilst contracting to get me back working.

that to me was priceless.

jeffery at m.large has always gone out of his way to sort spare parts when needed.

two of the nicest and most helpful men you could ever meet in the industry.