Bleeding Kanker

Frank

not too sure what was on about there! chinese chesnut???should of learnt by now not too post after visiting the pub! what i meant was himalayan horse chesnut( A.indica) but i guess if you have seen them suffering that strikes them off ...ive been led to believe though they are resistant though?

post pub posting. Always best avoided. Like texting in that respect.

Yep, I've seen plenty of A. indica + vars with bleeding canker. That coupled with the horrendous canker it gets here anyway makes for a bit of an ugly duckling. Don't know about A. x carnea 'Briotii' though. It's a stronger grower, generally, and I can't remember seeing one affected. Then there's all the buckeyes which could pass at a glance, I guess. Might need looking into...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post pub posting. Always best avoided. Like texting in that respect.

Yep, I've seen plenty of A. indica + vars with bleeding canker. That coupled with the horrendous canker it gets here anyway makes for a bit of an ugly duckling. Don't know about A. x carnea 'Briotii' though. It's a stronger grower, generally, and I can't remember seeing one affected. Then there's all the buckeyes which could pass at a glance, I guess. Might need looking into...

'briotiI' that could of been what i was after had a report back from alice holt and there was talk of resistant varitetys.....but what do i know as this is another post after been out all night! but im sure with out digging up the report it was briotii!

last month i went to one off my customers houses and the chestnuts looked like it was autumn i took a leaf of the chestnut and poped the brown mark on the leaf open it to find a maggot tip thing in the leaf any ideas the trees where covered

leaf minor!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for opinions on this.....I've thankfully never had to deal with Bleeding Canker on HC, so was concerned to see this on a huge HC in a clents garden.

Is this what you guys are seeing?

sep7th2008019-4brs3h0ss.jpeg

More worryingly, there was a large branch that came into leaf in spring then lost all it's leaves within a month.

The top of the crown has miniturised leaves and yellowing. Are these classic symptoms? Is there a chance that the branch could re-foliate next year? Apart from these issues the tree looks to be in very good condition.

5976537bea5f8_sep7th2008021.JPG.81f9337ccefdfcbec0b2040c71ca234e.JPG

oh dear ...check the branch for spiral girdling but they are the classic symptoms...the first pic isnt really too worrying,most have that on around this way but if die back like that occours its not usually good as phytophera has set in and the girdling it causes severearly weakens the structual nature of chesnut wood not to mention the die back!.