cs41 is it worth having

As far as i know no it's not essential. My boss is well up on all the regs and only train us with the 4 tickets until now. But he went on a seminar with the AA recently and they seem to be pushing for 41 to be a essential. So might be worth obtaining soon. He's looking into putting us on 41 courses.

Hopefully someone on here can shed more light on it.

I was with a company who was with the aa. They pushed to have 40/41. So we did the course. It was brilliant, a fair bit of maths involved eg, loading and dropping of wood. But I can't really see why we did it. I thought it would be for insurance but people on the forum don't think it is needed. The course was great so if you can do it.

I feel that it will become increasingly essential:

As the industry pushes to be seen in a profesional light in the UK - cs 40/41 will become a core ticket even if it is a little on the fringe for many at the moment.

While reading about the complexities of the use and loading of systems can lead to a good understanding - this will not be enough and we will all need to have that piece of paper.

i will defiantly be doing the 40/41 this year as i really want to develop my skills i only just left college and have the main 4 but i am keen in getting these tickets one for the achievement side of things but also to show clients or employees that i am capable and can work to a safe and good standard.

thanks for the heads up

It is in any serious tree surgeons interest to get cs41, and there are several good reasons:

1. It will enable you to work faster and safer.

2. It will give you the confidence to take on jobs that others may hesitate to undertake.

3. It will help to ensure that if something goes wrong, your insurance will pay out.

4. It gives you increased credibility.

Any good instructor will deliver an interesting course which goes well beyond the assessment criteria, and it does not have to involve a lot of maths. You should come away with a huge amount of practical ideas that will transform the way most people operate.

In my opinion it is one of the easier nptc assessments. It requires you to remove 3 branches (1 tip tie, 1 butt tie, 1 cradled), and chog 4 pieces off a standing stem (2 by hand, 2 lowered).

We usually run it as a 3 day course, and I think it probably offers the best value of any course we run. It is certainly our favourite course to teach because the feedback, even from experienced arborists, is always very positive. I am not flying the company flag here, there are several places where you will get an interesting and worthwhile course on this subject.

Richard

To look at it another way if you had an accident whilst dismantling at least you can prove that you are suitably trained and competent to be undertaking such tasks . A guy that works for me caught his little finger between the lowering rope and the main trunk resulting in 3 stitches and some physio now ask what if hed sued me for letting him undertake such work without me training him in 41, was is accident caused by lack of knowledge or poor positioning , would it have happened if hed got 41. I believe that you can never have enough training even if you think its a waste of time one day it will be of such use that it could prevent a serious accident.