Strength Training

LancsMike

20 reps as a shock once in a while would stimulate muscle gain,over a period of time you wouldn't gain anything from lifting such a light weight tho.

To be honest most tree surgeons don't want to be overly big,but they do require explosive strength and strength endurance with a solid cardio base.

Direct bicep work every week for most climbers would lead to overtraining of the biceps pretty quickly anyway

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 reps as a shock once in a while would stimulate muscle gain,over a period of time you wouldn't gain anything from lifting such a light weight tho.

To be honest most tree surgeons don't want to be overly big,but they do require explosive strength and strength endurance with a solid cardio base.

Direct bicep work every week for most climbers would lead to overtraining of the biceps pretty quickly anyway

Correct. But once they've been doing the 20 reps of say 12KG for a period of about, a month... their muscles should find it relatively easy, it's at that point they move to trying say, 15 reps of 16kgs. So the muscles are always moving forward and becoming very well conditioned.

Which is exactly what you need in this industry, but in every muscle group. Being too big makes it a lot harder to climb and move about and it isn't all strength like you say.

I have a friend who worked his biceps for a year, ignored his triceps, chest and back and not only does it look silly (they're absolutely massive) ... it's terrible for the body.

You gotta be muscle conditioned, with a very fit cardiovascular system to be a machine in this business!

Size isn't strength ;) (in a way)

I think I'm getting there. I'm very much into my fitness and conditioning

Do you consider your build to be?

It depends on your build and what you want to do.

For tree work you want to condition your body so you have endurance, power, strength and stamina!

You don't want to be pumping 25KG bicep curls, you want to do about 20 reps of 12kg but again this depends on your current build and what weight you find comfortable to use without breaking a sweat in 5 reps!

Lots of push ups, chin ups, tricep dips, sit ups, lat and shoulder work outs!

Balanced diet is good.

Ello mate, I'm currently 13-14 stone ? [ need to get the scales out ] and 6'3 so I'm not big really, never have been but doing all this is more so I can do the job easier, yeah its still knackering and bet even the fittest people in this trade still sweat at the end of a hard day, but all I'm aiming for is being able to bounce back quicker and easier and just bulldoze through the day without paying for it the next day with some serious aches and pains.

Thanks again though, will be giving some of everyones advice a try and see what works best for me

Cheers

Ello mate, I'm currently 13-14 stone ? [ need to get the scales out ] and 6'3 so I'm not big really, never have been but doing all this is more so I can do the job easier, yeah its still knackering and bet even the fittest people in this trade still sweat at the end of a hard day, but all I'm aiming for is being able to bounce back quicker and easier and just bulldoze through the day without paying for it the next day with some serious aches and pains.

Thanks again though, will be giving some of everyones advice a try and see what works best for me

Cheers

Good stuff. Definately look into body conditioning and getting a strong cardio system! Youtube or google seach body conditioning. You want to be doing the same routines are parkour / free runners do. Very fit and powerful bodies. Ideal for this job, truuuuuust me :thumbup:

It's all a bit of a balance isn't it lads?

We are all looking for the Holy Grail of being very strong/well built/fit/great climber etc. but it is very hard to truly attain that.

I've put 20kg on my bench at the expense of a stone in weight and lost 6 reps on my chins in the last year.

Better worker? Yes. Better climber? What do you think?

Harrison 2098474554645546 why have you got a pic of Jamioquoi in your avatar?

I think flexibility is key to this game aswell and certainly helps prevent injuries. Now that type c ballistics are better I feel I can move around more, before it was a struggle to pick something up on a warm day.

Most of my climbing is spike work so I can get away with not being super fit but for the reduction monkeys and beginners, get in the gym :)

It's all a bit of a balance isn't it lads?

We are all looking for the Holy Grail of being very strong/well built/fit/great climber etc. but it is very hard to truly attain that.

I've put 20kg on my bench at the expense of a stone in weight and lost 6 reps on my chins in the last year.

Better worker? Yes. Better climber? What do you think?

Harrison 2098474554645546 why have you got a pic of Jamioquoi in your avatar?

True true my friend.

Whats with all the numbers haha? Who the heck is Jamioquoi?? It's me! :thumbup1:

Hybrid athletiscism is whats needed,power or explosive strength,a decent cardio base,and flexibility and it isn't hard as it seems if use your noggin.And if I hear one more person say muscular people ain't flexible I'll mail you a naked pic of me Doing splits haha