Strength Training

LancsMike

Evenin' all,

Had a scan through the threads on here about Weight training - I've been doing it myself since November last year after I packed in smoking but I'm finding my strength hasn't jumped up a huge amount. My main exercising is just with 20kg dumb bells doing a few varied exercises [bicep Curl / Tricep kick back / Pullovers ] but I've been finding my chest hasn't increased a great deal either.

My Q is - Whats the best exercises to do ? & is it worth looking into whey protein and other supplements ? My diet is pretty good and packed with meats/eggs and complex carbohydrates but just not getting that edge I'm after. But I've read that kettlebells are great, doing benchpress helps and even just plain pressups so I'm a bit confused on whats best.

Any insight/help/advice would be appreciated,

Cheers

- Mike

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup1:Kettlebells

will give you great grip and functional strength also great for muscle endurance and cardio everything you need in this job, get someone who knows how to use them show you:thumbup:

best of luck and well done on ditching the cancer sticks:thumbup:

I'll have to order some off Amazon and give them a bash, mate of mine is big into his training over in Elland so i'll pick his brains on it and ask him to give me a demo. Thanks Robert :thumbup1:

Edit : Thanks by the way, Hypnotherapy seemed to do the job, not had 1 Ciggy since nor want to.. if anything cig smoke smells pretty bloody rancid now lol

squats, bench press, deadlifts, power cleans thats all you need to do 3 to 4 sets of 4 to 6 reps . use the formula that is say if your best squat is 100 kg x1 rep , then you should do x2 reps @ 95 kg then 3reps @90 kg and so on, if you dont know how to do these exercise's then go to a gym and let a pro show you,

all the best dave

protien shakes are just a licence to print money, don' t give em the satisfaction of ripping you of!!! as long as you eat well and are hydrated you'll be fine.

the best thing is to add a pinch of salt to squash or water much better for you than any lucozade!!!

Thats what i learn't in about year and half of sports nutrition!

all the best Ollie

squats, bench press, deadlifts, power cleans thats all you need to do 3 to 4 sets of 4 to 6 reps . use the formula that is say if your best squat is 100 kg x1 rep , then you should do x2 reps @ 95 kg then 3reps @90 kg and so on, if you dont know how to do these exercise's then go to a gym and let a pro show you,

all the best dave

Too right - just can't beat heavy basic lifts IMO. After a while chuck some chins and dips in. Rippetoe gives a good simple programme.

I'm certainly nonexpert mate (am only 12 stone) but try upping weight a little each week to gain strength and keep changing your routine to hit your body differently. As Ollie says proper eating is the key but I find protein shakes between meals is extra help as I burn food off very quickly. Yeti is the man to talk to mate he does the strongman and I think he said he's about 20clem :)