Contractors rates

Urubaen

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Urubaen, don't want to worry you but in the HMRC's eyes if you've been working SOULY for one company for three years then they would probably class you as an employee rather than a contractor (IR45) but shhhhhhh...don't tell anyone.

Hi Urubaen, don't want to worry you but in the HMRC's eyes if you've been working SOULY for one company for three years then they would probably class you as an employee rather than a contractor (IR45) but shhhhhhh...don't tell anyone.

tell me about it, has been a concern for me, one of the reasons i want to shift on

I'd say £100 - £120 a day is fair, especially if your getting kept busy all year on those rates and your happy working for the guy.

Pretty sure that it's just the employer that ends up in hot water for using a freelancer full time basis. Think it's seen as exploitation.

Maybe they should make it more of a fair deal to employ someone! Sorry for the de rail!

Hi, it's IR35 and was first put in place in the late '90's (I think) to stop IT contractors setting up as a company then just doing what went before with their previous employer. As I understand it, it is a pretty grey area and depends on the contract you have. If you are contracted, have a written contract for each and every job then broadly you should be OK as HMRC cannot stop you having the opportunity to work. I use contractors and have done for years in various businesses however they all do the odd bits and pieces ('homers') elsewhere and declare it.

HMRC have not had a successful prosecution as I understand hence why it has kinda drifted into the grey area.

Both company and contractor are liable, not just the company.

Bottomline, get a contract of work for every new client you work for and the specification of works. If anything it will help to show that just because you can't sell yourself and get other work with other people you are not trying! (I'm not saying you can't sell yourself etc...but you catch my drift I hope! :thumbup1:)