338 XPT won't pickup rev's

taz.horses

my husky climbing saw wont pickup rev's dies when blip throttle.

Then will rev at hi rev's perfect then wont idle

Ippossible to work with, drives me mad !!!!!!

The balance is perfect and plenty of power when it works

been told it is an air leak , but where ??

any idea ?

A few things to check

If the muffler is like the 335XPT one, pop off the spark arrestor where the exhaust comes out by undoing the phillips screw and taking out the gauze arrestor - if it is blocked, either lob it or clean it out!

Not responding from idle to midrange is a sign that a saw is running weak on the "L" adjustment - try undoing it by 1/4 - 1/2 turn, the idle will need to be turned clockwise as richening the "L" adjuster will slow the idle. If this has no effect then put the settings back as they were.

It is worth checking the tank breather although it is easier to run the saw with half a tank and a lose filler cap to see if it sorts the problem and then find the breather and clean it.

Could be dirt in the gauze top carb filter in the pumping section, dirty fuel filter.

Airleaks can be in the carb boot or crankshaft seals or between the carb and the carb boot.

I have a 335 with similar faults but havent spent any time on it yet but the most likely cause is the carb settings or spark arrestor.

I do sort out saws for people on this site if that is an option for you - a few have had me do this and are happy:thumbup: