Unimogs rock thread

Stephen Blair

I've imported it and am in the process of registering it as agri now, run on white and have a separate tank for red when on site running chipper and crane... How do they drive when loaded with chip?

Problem is how can you prove your running on white after the Reds in the system.

I've imported it and am in the process of registering it as agri now, run on white and have a separate tank for red when on site running chipper and crane... How do they drive when loaded with chip?

Hi mate,

We've had ours for 2 years (same model) and were advised to run on white even though it's registered AG. We did get pulled and dipped, as soon as they saw we were on white they were gone with no further questions. I did hear of an Arb firm getting theirs impounded for running on red. Personally I don't think it's worth the risk.

All the best with it

Timon

Would check about having red and white , I was told not to do this as its illegal. I run on white don`t get any bother.

I think you are right. You can have dual tanks but the 'red one' can't be connected to the engine used to propel the vehicle.

Two tanks are not allowed anymore, it used to be acceptable providing the switchover valve could not be accessed by the driver in the cab but thats all finished.

From current HMRC blurb

4.3 Can I store rebated oil in auxiliary (belly) tanks on a vehicle or trailer?

Yes, but only in fuel tanks not capable of connection to the engine used to propel the vehicle (unless it is an excepted vehicle). The standard running tank(s), whether connected or disconnected, must contain only fully duty paid fuel. Rebated gas oil must not be taken into the standard running tanks or auxiliary tanks fitted to vehicles or trailers except where these tanks are solely and permanently connected to the auxiliary machinery (for example, refrigeration motors). All other tanks on a vehicle, trailer or bulk carrier whether directly connected to the propelling engine or not, will be considered to be part of the road fuel system. Dual fuel systems are not permitted, even where they can connect to a power take off to switch the tanks.

Thank for the advice, As far as I understand if it's registered as ag and is not used to haul chip then it can be run on red? Is that correct?

Not quite, to run on red the journey has to be in the course of entrepreneurial activity of agriculture, including forestry and horticulture. So running to a building site, trade show or Highway work (snow clearing and hedge trimming excepted) is not allowed on red.