Realistic opportunities abroad with little experience?

Hi there,

Just really wanting to get some opinions of any realistic opportunities to relocate ideally to aus/nz or canada.

After reading through threads it seems like experience is key then the struggles of getting visa's arranged/accepted.

Ive worked hard for the last 2 years volunteering 2 days a week with BTCV whilst gaining NVQ level 1 in land based operations and level 2 in environment conservation in which i learnt a number of skills such as tree felling (with bowsaws) coppicing, post & rail/wire fencing, dry stone walling, hedge laying, managing vegetation plus a number of other tasks. Ive search high an low in the UK but it is so fiercly competitive i would easily consider working abroad to forge a career one day.

I have a degree but in a completely unrelated field which i have no interest in pursuing hence why ive put the hard work in to attain these qualifications so far. I do not have any tickets at the moment alongside no actual paid work experience.

Is this more of a pipedream or have you heard of/know of people who have emmigrated with similar experience as myself? Any advice, help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

An employer is there for their own benefit, he employs people who will make or help him make money.

You have to bring something to the table so to speak. If you can offer hard work that is fine BUT you need to deliver. To take anyone on costs money and time on their part.

If you are hoping of a golden ticket, then there is not much chance of this, if yo want something bad enough you need to work out a plan, stick to it and aim for your goal. This may take a few years, things will arise within this time that is out with your control that will delay your plan but you have to get back on track and keep going.

What age are you and what is your current situation? Do you live at home? Do you have your own place and a family to support?

Hi there,

Just really wanting to get some opinions of any realistic opportunities to relocate ideally to aus/nz or canada.

After reading through threads it seems like experience is key then the struggles of getting visa's arranged/accepted.

Ive worked hard for the last 2 years volunteering 2 days a week with BTCV whilst gaining NVQ level 1 in land based operations and level 2 in environment conservation in which i learnt a number of skills such as tree felling (with bowsaws) coppicing, post & rail/wire fencing, dry stone walling, hedge laying, managing vegetation plus a number of other tasks. Ive search high an low in the UK but it is so fiercly competitive i would easily consider working abroad to forge a career one day.

I have a degree but in a completely unrelated field which i have no interest in pursuing hence why ive put the hard work in to attain these qualifications so far. I do not have any tickets at the moment alongside no actual paid work experience.

Is this more of a pipedream or have you heard of/know of people who have emmigrated with similar experience as myself? Any advice, help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Experience is what an employer would be looking for, the state will want your profession to on their required list and your qualification to the minimum requirement. You will probably also need a sponsor. Experience won’t be much in the states brief.

hi there thank you for replying.

I am 26 years old, working full time as a projectionist in sheffield at the minute. I have no family ties except a long term girlfriend and im renting so have no mortgage, just usual debts from university.

Obviously i am not looking for an easy pass and i am fully committed but i am finding it difficult to find employment, ideally id like an apprenticeship here in the UK to get trained up and further the skills i have already but yet again struggling to find anything.

I know there are plenty of other people who may have more experience or have more qualification but i believe i have the right mindset as i have spent the last two years working full time over 4 days a week and volunteering 2 days a week so i hope that would show some dedication.*

I was just wondering who may take people on with my limited work experience but keen desire to learn.

Thanks again

Ben

With your work experience you're probably unlikely to get too much in the way of job offers mainly because I would say the skills you have would not be required in Oz or NZ. Not much call for dry stone walling and hedge laying etc here in NZ that's for sure. I'd say your best bet is to come over on a temporary work visa and then see what you can get once you are over here/there. You don't need much for a temp work visa, only some funds, a return ticket and a clean record. Once you're here/there or wherever you can then start hunting down jobs as a groundy. Again, probably better off trying with some of the bigger outfits who have a higher staff turnover. Failing that, have a nosey on the skilled jobs lsit on the immigration website of the country you want to go to.

Hi there,

Thanks

Ben

mate large companies are normaly quite good to you and will train you up as long as you show your comitment to the team,, other smaller companies cant afford to and want experiance,,, but we all have to start somewere to get expiriance dont we?

Right thank you all for your responses. It was all very interesting and im going to take it all into account. Failing i cannot get some experience in the UK i will start researching/thinking about going on a working holiday in the future and even if it does not lead anywhere im sure it would be a great experience.

Lets hope the job sector picks up here soon :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

Thanks

Ben

Australia has lots of TREE work at the minute, I'm not sure what they're like in the landscaping industry. It all depends on your qualifications anyway.

I'm going out on 11th of August to work for a company in Adelaide for a year. Hopefully if I really enjoy it and get on there I'll be looking for sponsorship off him so I can stay perm :thumbup1: 12 month working holiday visas there are easy to get hold of :)

Hi Matey

I know where your coming from, I'm trying to emigrate to NZ at the moment and it's not easy or straight forward. Immigration want you to be qualified and have experience - I have both but still need a job offer to get enough points.

What I have done is phone companies in the area I want to go to just to find out what's about. Mostly it's been really positive.

You just need to keep plugging away - if you want it bad enough it'll come!

Hi Matey

I know where your coming from, I'm trying to emigrate to NZ at the moment and it's not easy or straight forward. Immigration want you to be qualified and have experience - I have both but still need a job offer to get enough points.

What I have done is phone companies in the area I want to go to just to find out what's about. Mostly it's been really positive.

You just need to keep plugging away - if you want it bad enough it'll come!

Check out the work to residency option with immigration. You'll still need a job offer but not the quals or experience. Alternatively you can get a 3 year work visa and then work on residncy when you get there.