Anyone know what Monterey Cypress is like for firewood.

TopCut

I was asked to take down a large Monterey Cypress in someones garden. I sent the quote in and the guy aked if I can do the job cheaper if I take the wood there is a good 10 tonne in the tree. I sell logs but all are hardwood and I have no idea what Monterey Cypress is like for firewood so any help would be great thx.

The tree is about 60ft and at the base is around 3 to 4ft across. I quoted to dismantle the tree and leave the trunk for planking. He was going to get someone to do this and keep the planks but know of someone who has started up in milling so may give him a try.

Usual problem, what people don't realise if you take material away its not a super deal for you, its more more work and then more work to convert in to firewood. If you left it for them to sort after dropping, which would make em realise what is actually involved. You could go and earn better money doing another job. Discounting for taking away is a no brainer.

Yes burns well new zealanders uses it as firewood alot for woodbiurners at least see firewood.co.nz or similar in google

How much were you going to charge for the job?

How much would someone buy the wood in for roadside?

I'd tell him that you'll do the job for your normal price but will leave the wood on site in rings. He can then eBay it and should get over £20 a tonne.

If I were close by, I'd buy some off him. In fact, where's the job - If it's local (to Sheffield), give me a PM.

G

It is good firewood, but you musn't start reducing the price for taking the logs away- explain to him that there is no money to be made from tree surgery arisings....certainly not what it would cost you to remove the wood, store, split and deliver it.

• Like 1