New rope but what cord is recommended?

Gnarlyoak

Hi folks,

I'm currently looking at replacing my climbing rope. I've narrowed the field to 3main contenders, all good in my opinion and I'm sure you will have your own preferences.

At the moment, I'm a bit "old skool" and have always climbed on Yale XTC (red) with a Blakes hitch on Yale 0.3m spliced split tail. But in the future want a rope that will be lighter and give me the option to change to a mechanical climbing device, such as the ART Lockjack/Spiderjack, in the future.

The 3 main contenders are:-

New England - Tachyon

Yale - Poison Hi-Ve

Yale - Imori

What friction cord would be most recommended for each. And if you've used or are using any of the above ropes, are you happy with your choice and did you come across any unexpected pros/cons that you had'nt anticipated?

Many thanks for your help and guidance. :thumbup1:

Tachyon is a lovely rope - i've got two.....

As a rock climber as well as an arb i'm allways looking out for a very supple rope which feels nice in the hand and is easy to tie knots with (thats the climbing influence) and the Tachyon fits the bill perfectly!

Ive got both orange and green....both of which are hi viz so you can easily keep an eye on them when climbing and from the ground (groundies eye view!)

They are quite prone to 'milking' if they are used from both ends simultaneously but i rarely climb with both ends anyhow.

I use YAL101 - Yale Silverstreak Cool Accessory Cord for my prussik which seems to be a good match, but i too am looking to join the 21st century and get a mechanical climbing device to go with this rope at some point.