Dean Lofthouse

So far this week on my defender 130 I've:

Put a new engine in,

A new front axle

New shocks all round

New discs all round

New calipers all round

New pads all round

It had loads of play in the drive which was cured by the front axle, it bounced around abit which was cured by the shocks, to stop within a reasonable distance it took me standing on the brake pedal.

When I looked at the brakes the fronts weren't brilliant, two pots were stiff, the rear discs were only contacting on 75%, one of the rear pistons was seized and the other side hub seal was leaking wetting one side of that disc.

New brakes all round, I was expecting the landy to stand on it's nose.

Exactly the bloody same!! The only thing left is the master cylinder and servo. I have checked the servo by disconnecting the vaccum pipe the connecting it with my foot on the pedal and the pedal drops.

Anyone else had similar problems or knows of a master cylinder upgrade.

The brakes are attrocious, even with no weight on.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one at about 40mph takes about 3 artic lengths to stop :scared1:

errm..... oh :scared1:

That said, I really need to get some caliper overhaul kits and do mine one weekend. I did find I was having trouble with one becuase of a kinked hard brake line just as it went into the back caliper (it had kinked when id had (evidently not carefully enough) lifted the caliper out the way to do the hub bearings.

Ive also on a previous vehicle suffered on one front caliper due to a delaminated and collapsed flexi hose.

both things to check, but If it's that bad, it probably points to either master cylinder or lack of vacuum.

if you 'pump' the brakes up until hard with the engine off, and keep your foot down while you start the engine, your foot should fall if theres a good vacuum.

So far this week on my defender 130 I've:

Put a new engine in,

A new front axle

New shocks all round

New discs all round

New calipers all round

New pads all round

It had loads of play in the drive which was cured by the front axle, it bounced around abit which was cured by the shocks, to stop within a reasonable distance it took me standing on the brake pedal.

When I looked at the brakes the fronts weren't brilliant, two pots were stiff, the rear discs were only contacting on 75%, one of the rear pistons was seized and the other side hub seal was leaking wetting one side of that disc.

New brakes all round, I was expecting the landy to stand on it's nose.

Exactly the bloody same!! The only thing left is the master cylinder and servo. I have checked the servo by disconnecting the vaccum pipe the connecting it with my foot on the pedal and the pedal drops.

Anyone else had similar problems or knows of a master cylinder upgrade.

The brakes are attrocious, even with no weight on.

Dean, change the servo even if you think its OK, ours did the same thing even with 6 wheels breaking, changed the servo and it stands on its nose now

Dean, change the servo even if you think its OK, ours did the same thing even with 6 wheels breaking, changed the servo and it stands on its nose now

I think I'll do that, it can't be anything else. I've even changed the brake fluid thinking it may have got moisture in and become spongy.

All I have to do now is change the chassis and I'll have a brand new motor :001_tongue: