SIA- the tree pulling test/theory

Not sure if that's directed at me or the general membership, but I wouldn't know the answer to that Nick.

Have you experience with tree motion sensors for root plate stability?

Better = cheaper or better = more sensitive/accurate?

I would think both in terms of effort and accuracy.

We just screw 2 sensors to the tree, 1 at ground level and 1 around 2m and leave during a windy spell to compare results. We've got 6 sensors so normally do a few near by as comparison. You can then see how much the root plate moves.
c07187739f7ed5ee5367eff92077ebc0.jpg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick Connell said:

I would think both in terms of effort and accuracy.

We just screw 2 sensors to the tree, 1 at ground level and 1 around 2m and leave during a windy spell to compare results. We've got 6 sensors so normally do a few near by as comparison. You can then see how much the root plate moves.
c07187739f7ed5ee5367eff92077ebc0.jpg

These seem great - I’ve looked in to them in the last. The only thing that put me off was relying on wind speed data from a local weather station which could actually be quite different accounting for gusts and shelter. 

Do you use an anemometer placed nearby? And do you interpret your own data or send it away for analysis? I’m keen to know how ‘user friendly’ these are.