Buying From USA

Dorian

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides that I'd shudder to think of just how much the shipping would be from say even mid USA to England .

I've bought various things from the US over the years - partly on price grounds, partly availability. The biggest is the 066 which was the early US spec Magnum (dual port muffler and heavy duty crankshaft), but I recently bought an extra long bar (longer than available in the UK).

Shipping is surprisingly reasonable - I tend to use TNT through an agent as they seem to deliver efficiently and be reliable. They will also let me arrange the shipping from the US, whereas DHL will only do it if you're the sender from the US.

Obviously it's slower, there's no back-up if there's a problem, and it gives issues with CE marking, but for non-critical, unusual items, particularly parts for older models, I've found it works pretty well. The worst bit is really cheap, small items which just creep over the £18 (inc. shipping) threshold and get taxed by the post office, including their £8 "handling charge":sneaky2: That said, when 'real' customs assess things, i.e. when there's no additional charge to be considered over and above the actual duty owing, I've found they quite often take a slightly lenient view as to whether to collect the tax or not, which is much appreciated :thumbup:

Alec

That whole tarrif business is a can of worms .They bend the rules to suit themselves .That deal they shoved down our throats a few years back has just created another avenue to sneak in repackaged Asian made goods through Mexico .

Now they have a bright idea to include all of the Pacific rim and further more all of Europe .Might sound good but given enough time every damned thing will come from Korea or India .I'd imagine a Bentley made in China would be about as popular as a turd in a punch bowl .I'll tell you this a Mexican made Lincoln was not the great grand plan they thought it would be .

The CE equivalent in ANSI, and you can quite easily buy the stickers from a local dealer if you're that worried! But the models are the same, just the US have more models!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

All the same except California models .

Well you can find out what models are available where just by going to GB or US web site .If you surf around world wide you'd be surprised to find for example older discontinued models available else where that were dropped from sales in the US and perhaps GB .If they make them any where in the world it should go without saying they can get the repair parts if needed .Might take a while though if a dealer is willing to order them .

At the risk of sounding arrogant and a wise azz I don't spend much time and effort on consumer grade saws myself .They are a faction of chainsaws just not what I delve in .

Several companies have built a reputation of being able to supply parts nearly world wide in a timely fashion .Namely John-Deere and Caterpillar .Stihl is not as good at it but pretty good considering everything .