Trees in the painted British Landscape

David Humphries

I spent some time earlier in the year removing trees on a SSSI site, simply because they didnt appear in the landscape as Constable painted it!! The idea seemed a little ridiculous to me at the time, however, it was explained to me that conservation can also mean conserving the original environment. The fact that many old pollards and hedgerow was to be removed, and the habitat that had been there for many years lost, is just a side issue.

• 3 years later...

Not quite the classical paintings of earlier in the thread, but an interesting observation none the less.

Whilst reading a quick bed time story to me youngest before I hightail it back to the big smoke for work tomorrow, I noticed (only after 4 years of reading it :001_rolleyes:) that the pictures of the trees in the background of the Gingerbread man, are actually Willow Pollards.

Can't find the particular origins of the story, but found that 'Gingerbread man' can be traced back to Elizabeth the 1st reign, so perhaps a british riverside scene of yore.

IMG_8929.jpg.e22d85318daf56d340a3d33520c8ba24.jpg

IMG_8927.jpg.7cf35817e08702a057aa2b612e28b30f.jpg

IMG_8926.JPG.1000aa0c2b465b231a81b0827f34018a.JPG

Hadn't noticed this thread before - I also find myself looking at trees in the background of paintings. I have a particular affinity with Constable as we back onto the Stour, up-river of where he painted but similar scenery nonetheless. I think artistic reference continues in similar vein, even in the era of the camera. My parents had a number of modern paintings and I recall a conversation with my late father one evening when we were identifying the various species in the background, even in some slightly abstract paintings, sometimes winter scenes so going just by typical form. My wife really couldn't understand how we could tell, but then she's a Philistine who can't even identify an ash by silhouette!

Alec

I don't care what people say, this is a fine thread, I'm sure I've got some info on the like somewhere.

This is a nice study,

Salvator Rosa: A Large Tree (11.66.7) | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

I'd imagine a fair bit of time & no shortage of skill went into producing that study.

What species do you think it represents?