career dilemma

bobby

Hiya,

Ive had nearly five years now workin in arb and two at college. Started off labouring for a year or so before doing a level 4 qual then climbing.

One of the reasons i decided to take up tree work is to avoid the office and Im most at home doing physically hard outdoor work. I love everything about it, the smell, the buzz, the banter, the bruises.....trees.

Six months ago though i took a surveying/trainee consultant role with a respected firm. The works interesting, the people are sound and im learning loads. BUT, im missing the contracting side like mad and Im dying to get back in the harness. Really dont think im cut out for the office environment, i get very restless and finding it really difficult to adjust.

Would it be foolish to give up a good, secure, professional job with prospects to do the work I really love in a time when jobs are few and competition is huge? Should i just stop my moaning, be grateful im in work and get on with it? Am i denying someone whos more suited to a consultants role the opportunity? Im just really missing coming home knackered, covered in saw dust and sweat. Before you mention it, I know my employer and colleagues dont use this forum.

Thanks

Depends how old you are i guess......if time is still on your side then get back in the saddle......plenty of time in the future for office based works.

Many of us are blessed to be doing work we love........

hmmm,, caution..

before you do anything rash,,, REALLY think about it all,, look at the financial side too,, the stability a steady wage provides etc etc.

is it possible for you to do maybe 4 days survey and 1 day contracting? maybe talk with the boss and explain you feel the need to keep on top of the tree work side so as to be a better surveryor? maybe get it built into the role?

trust me,,, i know how you feel...

I have nearly the same problem but in reverse. I'm fed up being out on site, not knowing where the job is going to come from, and like being self employed, but start climbing walls after so long in the office, but the office is more reliable for the income. Thinking of going back to my old career (transport), but like the idea of driving instead of office, but not sure, my head is a shed about it all, so i have sympathy about your dilemma.

Plenty of time to sit on your backside when you're old and crusty and your legs don't work anymore. BUT......you do have to weigh up giving up a job in a nice warm office or vehicle to go back out and face the British weather at its worst. Sliding and sliming around in trees in persistant precipitation, snow etc. Personally I'd chose outdoors despite the weather.