Ever wondered about sharpening an old circular saw for firewood production.

Frank

Came a cross this small 2 part series about sharpening your circular saw for firewood production.

Might be of interest to some.

Those of you in the know may recognise Andy Reynolds as the star of the videos. (author of "Heating with Wood" and other books):thumbup1:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ]YouTube - Sharpening a circular saw for cutting firewood: part one[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xA6TFE9cI4&feature=related]YouTube - Sharpening a circular saw for cutting firewood : part 2.[/ame]

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks good that saw. It would look better with a guard on it, though. And a box to catch the sawdust.

Take it from me that saw was luxury with the moving trough for the logs. When I was a kid on the farm we a a huge table saw with the 36" blade. No guards,no riving knife and driven by a flat belt off the pulley on the side of the old Fordson Major.

When the blade got up to speed it would give out a malevolent whistle.Two of us used to roll logs up a couple of long stakes onto the table and then proceed to push them onto - and past the blade.Imagine twisted old oak branches and you get the idea.Very often the timber would rotate slightly and bind the blade.

Clouds of smoke would billow forth and we would struggle to get the log back off the blade. Occasionally the blade would get so hot it would buckle to such a degree it would cut clean through the timber surround (forgotten the technical name !) and start attacking the cast iron bed.Time to retreat and lower the revs a bit rapid, and empty the watering can over the spinning blade !!! In real emergencies we used to use a handily placed hedge stake to run the belt off the pulley !!

Familiarity breeds contempt and more than once I got a round log in the midriff from being too impatient starting a new cut, as per the advice in the video.Severely winded several times.

Pointing stakes was another dangerous job because the bits coming off would often vibrate across the table and land on the rapidly moving belting.Nothing like a nine inch long pointy bit whistling past your ear to speed up response times.

We used to use waste oil to lubricate the bed and the blade.-none of this modern silicon stuff back then !!

Ah Happy days............. The older I get- the better I was !!

Take it from me that saw was luxury with the moving trough for the logs. When I was a kid on the farm we a a huge table saw with the 36" blade. No guards,no riving knife and driven by a flat belt off the pulley on the side of the old Fordson Major.

When the blade got up to speed it would give out a malevolent whistle.Two of us used to roll logs up a couple of long stakes onto the table and then proceed to push them onto - and past the blade.Imagine twisted old oak branches and you get the idea.Very often the timber would rotate slightly and bind the blade.

Clouds of smoke would billow forth and we would struggle to get the log back off the blade. Occasionally the blade would get so hot it would buckle to such a degree it would cut clean through the timber surround (forgotten the technical name !) and start attacking the cast iron bed.Time to retreat and lower the revs a bit rapid, and empty the watering can over the spinning blade !!! In real emergencies we used to use a handily placed hedge stake to run the belt off the pulley !!

Familiarity breeds contempt and more than once I got a round log in the midriff from being too impatient starting a new cut, as per the advice in the video.Severely winded several times.

Pointing stakes was another dangerous job because the bits coming off would often vibrate across the table and land on the rapidly moving belting.Nothing like a nine inch long pointy bit whistling past your ear to speed up response times.

We used to use waste oil to lubricate the bed and the blade.-none of this modern silicon stuff back then !!

Ah Happy days............. The older I get- the better I was !!

Fantastic story. Love hearing stuff like that. I know a chap who still does exactly the same only he uses a Ford Super major. Haha.

I was told that an old lad near where I grew up had a similar contraption, but adapted it to run a shaft drive off a PTO.

PTO was running faster than the belt drive would have, saw blade gave up the ghost and embedded itself in him. I'd led to believe it did for him.

This was donkeys years ago, but I still get really uneasy at the thought of people using unguarded circular saws, even when it is to do work they were rated for.