Timberwolf bearings

kev7937

This is a slight derail, and I apologize to the original poster, on the subject of oil changes, use the manufacturers recommendations as a "maximum". When I ran Barrowcliff's, everything got serviced ahead of schedule, when time allowed. Oil and filters are cheap enough so why wait until the clock says "Now!", when it might not be available. Air filters got blown out weekly, tyre pressure was checked weekly, washed and cleaned weekly, etc. Why spend all that money and then not care for it properly!

My pet hate is seeing a clean truck and a dirty chipper.

• Like 1

This is a slight derail, and I apologize to the original poster, on the subject of oil changes, use the manufacturers recommendations as a "maximum". When I ran Barrowcliff's, everything got serviced ahead of schedule, when time allowed. Oil and filters are cheap enough so why wait until the clock says "Now!", when it might not be available. Air filters got blown out weekly, tyre pressure was checked weekly, washed and cleaned weekly, etc. Why spend all that money and then not care for it properly!

My pet hate is seeing a clean truck and a dirty chipper.

:thumbup: absolutly ! it all depends on the use and condtions when harvesting or drilling onthe farm everything was blown out daily and the oils changed ahead of or on schedule the reccomended change on my landrover is 6000miles trust me never hets toit before its done 4000 tops as its always towing and being used hard not abused but used !

being an ag fitter by training i will asses as i come to a machine always good practice to be ahead as you say than behind and also doesent take long to give kits a good rinse of with pressure washer now and then cleen well kept kit can say a lot for a bussiness!

• 10 years later...

Let me give you some advice... Timberwolf have not got a CLUE when it come to looking after their own machines. When it comes to belt tensioning, they just pluck a figure out of the air.. Take my own 13/75. I have two copies of the makers manual here. One gives a tension about TWICE as tight as the other one, and all for the same machine.. They have not got a clue sad to say... Needless to say, with the belts too tight, the bearings are not going to last very long..

john..

Thanks for the advice John, but TW have a long history in this industry producing excellent machines and good backup through their agents.

You seem to be one of those blokes who moan about stuff a lot, everything is a scandal or shocking or the like.

So I’ll ignore it if that’s ok.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Thanks for the advice John, but TW have a long history in this industry producing excellent machines and good backup through their agents.

You seem to be one of those blokes who moan about stuff a lot, everything is a scandal or shocking or the like.

So I’ll ignore it if that’s ok.

Ok, so why are people ending up changing bearings every 40 hours then??? When was the last time you changed your car wheel bearings?? Was not every 1200 miles was it!!

I just ordered some spare bits from one of their dealers a few days ago. The dealers ordered the correct bits, i saw the order..

Timberwolf sent a load of bits that do not even appear on the spare parts list for my machine.. Worse, the parts list in the manual is just plain wrong, listing such things as a 22mm washer to go over a 25mm shaft.. Some bits did not even come..

I speak as i find, and i could not care in the least if this offends timberwolf or anyone else..

Granted, it is a BRILLIANT machine, and i am well pleased with it, but timberwolf are abysmal...

john..

Which dealer did you use, as have found some give timberwolf a bad name do to the service dealer gives. 

There is a thread on here somewhere telling people how to fit bearings properly, a new chipper bearings last for along time so if fail after 40 hours they were fitted wrong. 

Also have seen manual update by other manufacturers with vast changes. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, woody paul said:

Which dealer did you use, as have found some give timberwolf a bad name do to the service dealer gives. 

There is a thread on here somewhere telling people how to fit bearings properly, a new chipper bearings last for along time so if fail after 40 hours they were fitted wrong. 

Also have seen manual update by other manufacturers with vast changes. 

I agree, the dealers, Spectrum Plant, were excellent, and sent me a quotation for the parts i needed, with all parts itemised, numbered [as in how many] complete with part numbers. I know Spectrums list was correct, as i know what is actually fitted to the machine..

The parts meanwhile [they came direct from timberwolf] were miles out.. Six of an item the machine only has two of, and four of an item the machine does not have at all, and two parts were missing altogether.. Seems the timberwolf parts people have no idea of the difference between the various BS4320 "forms" for washers either OR what is ACTUALLY fitted to their machines.. Funny how the excellent Spectrum people got it right first time though..

As for bearings, i agree with that too... Any bearing that fails after 40 hours was damaged by being fitted wrong, as you rightly say..

What amazes me, is that if someone bought a £400 chainsaw and had to be replacing bearings after 40 hours, they would simply go and get their money back.. Why should someone pay MUCH MUCH more than that for a chipper, and then be expected to put up with makers blarney when it falls to bits..

john..