Mowing....is it viable?

Andy Collins

This thread makes my blood boil, how many times has it been said "the gardener had cut the tree". Now you tree boys are trying to nick our work:001_tt2:

Yes but, any one can cut grass, most people do their own, whereas tree work is dangerous a highly skilled!!!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one client last year, who spent a relative fortune on having in some of these lawncare professionals. The lawn looked abysmal, the client was very annoyed. I re-seeded the area for a lot less, it came up perfect, client happy. Sometimes people try to over-complicate things in order to make money.

I had one client last year, who spent a relative fortune on having in some of these lawncare professionals. The lawn looked abysmal, the client was very annoyed. I re-seeded the area for a lot less, it came up perfect, client happy. Sometimes people try to over-complicate things in order to make money.

I have customers who use those lawn care company's 4 times a year and it makes the lawn grow far too fast. They then moan when I tell them I'm going to charge them more or need to cut it more regularly.

My last post was a joke hence the :001_tt2: at the end. And for the record I only do tree work my pole saw can reach :thumbup:

I'd only do it if you were planning to expand, just for one job I very much doubt it would be worthwhile doing. Bit like a chipper if your only using it once in a while its cheaper and less hassle to hire it. If your using it day in day out its silly not to own one.

R

I'd only do it if you were planning to expand, just for one job I very much doubt it would be worthwhile doing. Bit like a chipper if your only using it once in a while its cheaper and less hassle to hire it. If your using it day in day out its silly not to own one.

R

yeh thats what i would do , surely hireing for one job would be the most profitable way . is there another tree surgeon in the area that you could go halfs with?

Some of the prices quoted on here seem crazy. How long does it take to cut 2 acres with a ride on?

£200+ 2 or 3 times a month from now until October, £3k plus for the grass cutting per year.

10 customers like that and I will work just 1 day a week, 8 months of the year and be pretty happy.

Like someone else said, you'd need a bit more detail to give an exact cost. Frequency of cut, whether grass has to be collected, how far from base.

Commercial rates for cutting large areas are low but still profitable,but you need to be "sweating your assets" if you are going to compete in this market.

A private client may be willing to pay a premium rate for a good job. However you may make more money elsewhere. How about subbing in an associate landscaper.

You are looking at about £50-65 to cut a football pitch (6000m2) approx