Mowing....is it viable?

Andy Collins

I've been asked to cut about 2acres of lawn. Thing is this will involve the purchase of a ride-n mower. I have a good source for all types of mower so this isnt the issue, but how much to charge per hour/per acre? As you'll be aware, these machines are not cheap, so to get a return and yet remain competitive is a problem. Tips, advice, shouts of "dont do it!" all welcome.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done a fair bit of contract maintenance. 2 acres could be cut quite quickly with the right mower. My initial reaction is mowing can be viable as it is a regular source of work.

The finish of grass is quite a key factor to the quote but to be honest I dont think people will pay more than £150 for that type of work.

Be cautious of buying a mower specifically for that one job though.....I did the same thing for a contract on a golf course, only to be gazumped by a transit driving individual who was selling soemthing called 'lucky heather!!!' :laugh1:

Hope this helps

Complete waste of time Andy I looked into a ride on no end of times, the rates for grass cutting are pitiful, and the maintenance of a ride on is very high.

I guess the only time its worth the purchase is if you have a written contract for a number of years, making sure you at least cover the price of the machine and fuel, wages, running costs over a set period of time.

Complete waste of time Andy I looked into a ride on no end of times, the rates for grass cutting are pitiful, and the maintenance of a ride on is very high.

I guess the only time its worth the purchase is if you have a written contract for a number of years, making sure you at least cover the price of the machine and fuel, wages, running costs over a set period of time.

Yep; 2p a metre was about average on commercial; domestic makes a lot more - I charge 8p per metre for good turf requiring either a rear roller rotary or low-blade reel cylinder machine like an allet buffalo. But this is ride-on territory so I guess 2 p per metre would be worst case if private owned so that's £161...

I agree with Timber Cutter unless mowing of turf is part of your core business you may think twice before making the additional investment of time/material cost before you see a return on investment. The fact that you have a much shorter growing season for your turf should also factor in to taking on this job.

Fair point mate, not trying to rob work from anyone. The client concerned rang me this morning, I have done thei hedge maintenance for the last 5years at their current address, and they are moving to a larger house with more land, and hedges. I will be getting the hedge work anyway, but they asked if I could either recommend someone (I dont often recommend as they can be unreliable) or do the grass myself. As mentioned above, I dont know if the sums will even make it worthwhile, and if you were on my doorstep I would gladly pass the work your way.

Another issue with passing the grasswork on, is that the mower may decide he'll under-cut my hedging work, so it could be detrimental for me to pass the work on.