The traditional climbing system (from the climbers companion)

YoGi_93

Ive just gone out and brought The tree climbers companion ive been reading through all its packed with information i find it a really good read. I Had a go at a few knots in it and i actually tried out the traditional climbing system. I didnt climb as i dont have a harness yet i just put it on a low crotch and leant back holding the working end. Is it just me or when you pull on the running end and slide the blakes hitch friction knot up it moves, but if you pull back on the working end it does not move, so theoretically could you climb with just the climbing system and a harness then be suspended up the tree without sliding down? Without any additional stoppers or ascenders?

Also is descending simple as just feeding the running end slowly through the friction knot? and its just crossed my mind what if the desired crotch is too high to reach with a throw bag and you keep getting it onto a crotch too low? Sorry about all the stupid questions guys im new and i find it really interesting i want to get as much in my head as i can before i hopefully start the college course.

Yogi 93 You should sign up for a tree climbing coarse or have someone that has experience in tree climbing show you the fundemental steps in climbing and safety. That way you'll have hands on experience which would be much safer than learning by yourself. And you'll see how the techniques are applied in the Tree Climbers Companion (Jeff Jepson).

An arboriculture class or two would also be most beneficial.

I agree with Tall Tree. I'm not trying to put you off but I'd hate for you to get a knot wrong and have it come loose on you while ascending or descending etc. Books are all well and good but they can't replace practical knowledge. See if you can get yourself booked on a course, even if it's just the basics.

Yeah i completely agree with you both. Ive actually applied for a 2 year forestry and Arboriculture course at Warwickshire college. Im justreading up on everything. I was actually a bit sceptical about the whole 2 year course, would you say a course this long is unneeded? I just want a decent job in the industry really then to progress to become a good climber then get enough experience to possibly start working for myself. The college also do all the smaller less than a couple of week courses. All from CS30 to CS41 I think. would these be better to do?

Hi Yogi,

If you're completely new to arb/tree climbing then I would stick with the 2 year course and whilst you're doing it try to get some experience with local tree companies at weekends or holidays.

I did a short 10 week course and all it teaches you to do is pass an assessment, I've learnt more doing a few days with an experienced arborist than on that entire 10 weeks.

Best of luck. :thumbup: