To Mulch, or not to Mulch?

David Humphries

the most important thing you need is a bucket of worms they will do all the work of decompaction and let the nutrient down to the roots.:001_cool:

As far as the worms go, if you use fresh tree chips with leafy matter as well, within 6 months to a year, you should not find any ground under that area that does not have worms.

If you build it, they will come. :001_smile:

Cardboard is a proven and inexpensive barrier. I prefer it to the weed mat. To suppress grasses without a barrier requires at least 8" of mulch. This could be too much for a veteran tree.

Dave

Well, they came..........suprise , suprise

Cardboard is breaking down nicely.

4/5 worms per cubic foot, where ever I've dug.

59765426aebda_CopyofDSC01091.JPG.9df55975b023af6b2313848ab99e0756.JPG

The worms are the good news, the bad news is the leaf cover.

Although there appears to be vigour and epicormic growth along the central core, the periphery is continuing to shut down.

I bit the bullet and reduced the dead tips back, hopefully trying to help the Tree by enabling it to stop wasting energy shutting down and compartmentalising the branch ends.

Have left the brush as annual and bi-annual fertiliser.

But if I'm honest, this little experiment may not get that far.

Ho hum !

DSC01150.jpg.5900c2715f5fef000f3f87b39fe39509.jpg

DSC01092.JPG.5d48ef76dc653b0728edd8a8e50a7e94.JPG

P7300017.JPG.395076642af182fa44e93142fc52e536.JPG

David, once again I think you have chosen well for the situation at hand. It is wise to remove the deadwood in this situation. The tree does look bleak. If it fails, it will just be for its time not because of your efforts. They were very appropriate.

Dave

Good effort, I'm surprised at how much it's declined since last year. I wonder if the mulching has had a detrimental effect - perhaps it's stripped the available Nitrogen our of the soil? I am of course speculating here...

Mulching even with fresh material does not strip available Nitrogen out of the soil, its any old wives tail.

Some research in the states says that for example using fresh mulches can reduce Phytopthora root rot :001_smile:

Mulching even with fresh material does not strip available Nitrogen out of the soil, its any old wives tail.

:

Really?:001_smile:Thats good news. Any docs to prove- not that i disbelieve, more for educational purposes.:001_smile:

Some research in the states says that for example using fresh mulches can reduce Phytopthora root rot :001_smile:

I was just wondering why the tree seems to have gone down hill so quickly since last year and wondered if the mulch might somehow be to blame - I know it seems unlikely...

Perhaps it's just because it's been dryer this year? Well it has around here anyway.

Good effort, I'm surprised at how much it's declined since last year. I wonder if the mulching has had a detrimental effect - perhaps it's stripped the available Nitrogen our of the soil? I am of course speculating here...

mulching, I believe, will not deplete soil nitrogen levels, unless it is dug into the soil.:thumbup: