Ropes used when climbing?

YoGi_93

Ive seen arborists working on anything from crown thinning to actually cutting sections down the trunk. They seem to be using several different ropes obviously i know the anchor. But what is the one they use to strap from their harness around the tree and back to the harness? Is it an average rope or a strop or a lanyard? Ive also seen them use a similar rope in set of two when climbing first time, alternating between the two ropes whilst gradually getting higher up the branches. What are they using? Sorry about the silly question im new to arboriculture doing a college course next year :001_smile: want as much info as i can get :thumbup1: cheers

the line from side d's aroundt he trunk is usually a 3m steel cored strop, but some people just use their short strop/lanyard which is normal climbing rope and their main lie to maintain two points of attachment. When climbing up first thing the main line and a lanyard or steel core flipline/strop are used in a pair to keep one anchor point in whilst throwing the spare rope to the next branch.

As above, you can get several types of strop/lanyard. I generally use a rope one for climbing, it is invaluable for work positioning, being comfortable. I use a steel one if i'm dismantling a trunk and using "spikes",this reduces the risk of cutting through one of your attatchment points or ropes. Good luck at college.

Hi YoGi

A lot of climbers use a second short section of En1891 rope to make up what is called a side lanyard or redirect lanyard. You can buy an off the shelf CE marked rope lanyard its really just a very short rope most are about 3 meters some come with a karibiner fitted some with just an eye to fit your own. To this you fit a friction hitch just like on your climbing line. As your just starting you might keep it simple and stick with a prussecc hitch. When climbing you can use this to secure yourself to a second area of the tree if your feet are supported you can use this from the side D's of your harness if your feet are free floating you shoudl transfer the system to your main harness bridge (side D's are not meant for suspending a climber)

You can make up your own side lanyard by buying a length of EN 1891 climbing line off of the reel anything from 11.5 mm to 13 mm should be OK attach this to your 3 way auto locking Karibiner or snap with a single fishermans knot or bight (self chokering knot) these knots can be found on the internet.

I find a side lanyard of about five meters if far more usefull but if its not stowed properly on your harness it can get in the way which is why most climbers only have one about three meters in length.

Although your lanyard might not be as pretty as a spliced one it will cost a lot less and if you damage it you can just replace the rope section. Record and mark any kit you buy in line with LOLER guidelines Date issued, serial number, your kit individual part number and a description. Also write these details in a seperate excercise book. Its not hard but if and hopefully when you have your kit inspected after six months you will already have a good self imposed recording system in place.

Cheers guys thats alot of help. Ive actually just gone out and brought The tree climbers companion ive been reading through it all day its packed with information i find it a really good read. I Had a go at a few knots in it and i actually tried out the traditional climbing system. I didnt climb as i dont have a harness yet i just put it on a low crotch and leant back holding the working end. Is it just me or when you pull on the running end and slide the blakes hitch friction knot up it moves, but if you pull back on the working end it does not move, so theoretically could you climb with just the climbing system and a harness then be suspended up the tree without sliding down? Without any additional stoppers or ascenders?

Cheers guys thats alot of help. Ive actually just gone out and brought The tree climbers companion ive been reading through it all day its packed with information i find it a really good read. I Had a go at a few knots in it and i actually tried out the traditional climbing system. I didnt climb as i dont have a harness yet i just put it on a low crotch and leant back holding the working end. Is it just me or when you pull on the running end and slide the blakes hitch friction knot up it moves, but if you pull back on the working end it does not move, so theoretically could you climb with just the climbing system and a harness then be suspended up the tree without sliding down? Without any additional stoppers or ascenders?

Yes, you could climb with just a doubled rope and a friction know. But when working with cutting tools (Silky or chainsaw) you must have a second support, so you don't fall if you accidentially cut one.

If might be worth taking a look at this document http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/crr_pdf/2001/crr01402.pdf it may wet your appetite for arborist work, but don't go off trying out climbing with chainsaws until you've had your training (CS30/31/38/39)!