hayter 56 pro

miker

My hayter 19 inch pro mower was knackered within 18 months, it was replaced with a 21 inch pro honda (more expensive but definately worth it) its now in its 6th grass cutting season although it had to have quite abit of money spent on it at the start of the season to replace the drive gears & roller etc. but she is still going just as strong 6 years on!

• 1 year later...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do lots of mowing and the best mower I have ever used is a pre 2000 hayter 56 with briggs and stratton side valve engine. Very simple very light very agile on banks and rough ground masive broad grass box cuting height adjustment simple quick and a big range exellent quality cut simple strong drive system with a big roller cheap parts and simple to

fix if they brought it back the shelf i would buy one tomorrow. The only diss advantage is the engine is a sod to start and could do with a bit more power per wieght. My old one done so much work it was smoking like knackerd old two stroke rattling like a old diesel transit and drinking more fuel than a V8 range rover.

I currently run a 2004 Honda 536 hh qxe it might be powerful and start first time and evern give quite a fine cut those are the good points. The bad points are parts very expensive the mower is not as reliable as a hayter the engine will go on for ever but I have bought more cables blades drive parts hayter make mowers honda make engines not mowers. Its very heavy not very well balanced either most weight is carried at the front. The worst point is the rear roller lots on ebay with this problem hayter win over honda any day here. The honda roller is very small and not ribbed or split like the hayter which makes it very hard to manover and the gearbox has a dog clutch which needs replacing at the end of every season which is ok the hayter drive parts will wear less cause the belt takes the stress but both need changing at some point however honda want over £150 for gearbox parts and when a new hayter is £999 and honda £1500 your lots beter off with a Hayter. I could talk all day about this point so I will Finish buy telling you in my shed i hava dead hayter cause of engine and a dead honda cause of 3rd gearbox on way out snapped P.T.O and roller worn down quite a few mm worn spline. New Briggs engine £350 New Parts for Honda probly more than £1500 lol.

The new Hayters are spoesd to be awfull let us know you experiences im considering buying new one.

We use a Hayter 56 Pro - bought it over a year ago to replace an ailing Honda. £600 cheaper than the Honda, starts first time every time, brilliant cut, standing up to very heavy use, just changed the oil and it came out still golden, and it sips fuel. No going back for us now. Honda mowers seem to have gone right downhill over the past few years, and parts prices awful (quite possibly due to exchange rate as this past couple of years there have only been about 120 JPY to the Pound, whereas a few years ago there were over 220 JPY to the Pound).