Red diesel prices

Tree cutter Stu

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it correct that both "White" and "Red" diesel will now be the same except from the colour and price?

yes all fuel be it for a DERV vehicle or for a NRMM will or should be ULSD one dyed red for rebate taxation!

err its NO, as not all red diesel will be DERV with red dye in, red dye and being ULS dose NOT make them the same, you have fundamental things like cetane rating which differ and it cost more to make fuel with higher cetane ratings. ;)

under the old BS 2869 & BS EN590 system you had:

ULSD = DERV to BS EN590 @ >CN51

ULSGO = DERV with red dye in to BS EN590 & BS 2869 A2,D @ >CN51

Gas oil = red to BS 2869 A2,D @ >CN46

under the new system you have:

ULSD = DERV to BS EN590:2009 @ >CN51

ULSGO = DERV with red dye in to BS EN590:2009 & BS 2869:2010 A2,D @ >CN51

ULSGO = red to BS 2869:2010 A2,D @ >CN46

gas oil = red to BS 2869 D @ >CN46

At the moment in the UK there is a shortage of refining capacity for gas oil so more DERV is being used to make red diesel which has pushed the price up of both DERV and gas oil (in addition to world oil prices) as that is only a stop-gap wile refineries have been switching over to production of ULSGO of >CN46 which just conforms to BS 2869:2010 A2,D & NOT BS EN590:2009 as per the other original ULSGO which has been on sale for many years.

Right Ta i stand corrected !

I think for the people out there who use red or white for different things the simplistc answer will be yes to a point untill they get the supplies etc sorted !

As an aside we used to buyt gas oil for the boilers at work were now on to a fuel called ultra 35 which is a blend of bio and gas oil for heating its a pale redyellow colour!

Its all change on the fuels front i guess with the push to more "green" fuels !

Winter grade fuel should stay the same if you specify you want winter grade they will use a sutuably anti gelling agent and as the bio part will be FAME fatty acid methyl ester it will have had the glycerine replaced by methoal in the reaction process and it the gylicerine which causes the most issues with gelling of bio fuuel at low temperature !

Have you tried Fernhurst fuels just outside Haslemere they are fairly cheap. I use them all the time for red diesel.

I hope you don't fill up at their pump- they'll charge you 20p/litre premium for the privilege, even if you buy 500 litre! Robbing bastards :thumbdown:

• 2 months later...