Cider press

Taupotreeman

Well, I seem to have an abundance of wild apple trees growing here there and everywhere so I've decided I'm going to have a crack at making cider. Problem is, I need to be able to press the apples but don't have a press. I've tried the whole google search thing to get some ideas but can't seem to find anything simple to make. I'm hopefully enlisting the help of a mate who is pretty handy with building stuff so if anybody out there has any simple plans or destructions for a simple press it would be much appreciated. Also, anybody tried making either Rowan Jelly or Haw (hawthorn berry) jelly as I'm interested to know what they taste like. Just something else I'm thinking of trying.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i make wine not cider - and made 5 gallons of apple wine last year - but i used a juicer as it was small scale

presses vary so much - and it really would depend on the quantities you want make - just to give you an idea of uk costs and of the standard (domestic) designs - here is another link for you

Wine Presses & accessories : Art of Brewing Wine Presses & accessories UK

Think I've been watching too much of Hugh fearlessly eats it all and after being T total for several years I have regained my thirst for good cider. Unfortunately we don't have a large choice in NZ and much of the stuff here is that awful very fizzy diamond white tasting stuff. Cider presses are few and far between so figured I'd get someone to make me a half decent one, something like that one in other thread or powered with a bottle jack.

County 4x4, PM on the way. Cheers :thumbup:

Making a press is fairly easy, just good hardwood and big bolts (M20's have not broken in mine) Plenty of plans kicking around the net. But you need to 'chip' or scrunch yer apples up first before they go into the press. Try YouTube. Some good some bad ideas but youll know what you need.

Good Luck