Climate Change - Man made or not?

Is climate change man made or not?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is climate change man made or not?

• Climate Change - Man made?
    • Climate Change - Natural event?
    • Positive effect on trees in the UK?
    • Negative effect on trees in the UK?

It looks like the wheels are flying off the 'global warming' bandwagon!

I'm not convinced that it was ever anything other than a scare tactic to make us all accept higher prices/taxes in the name of saving the planet.

The only ones still sticking to the "we're all going to burn/drown/starve" mantra are the mental wing of the environment movements!!

:thumbup:

I could not agree more!

I'm just old enough to remember that in the early 1970's the orthodoxy was that the ice age was returning as glaciers around the world were growing!

With regards to energy sources we should be moving rapidly to renewables where possible (hydro, wind, tidal, geo thermal) not so much from a green perspective but for security of supply reasons. Do we really want to put or economic wellbeing in the hands of the Russians or the oil producing Arabs...I think not!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt read all the 11 pages of subs to this thread, wanted to keep away from others opinions. Wether we contribute or not is the debate, volcanoes total around 60% of atmospheric Co2, methane is coming from methane deposits on the ocean floor, NOT farm animals! whatever way you look at it, the earth is always going to heat and cool. we are in a warming period from the last ice age, and we are adding to it, but to think we make a "large" effect is debatable. What we are doing that is the BIG issue is eliminating diversity and narrowing the genetic pool and wiping out genetic factories like the major arboreal sytems. if we do not learn to live by the "inclusional" phylosophy "holistic to those unfamiliar with that term we will be in very substantial amounts of trouble, sod the heat, just protect diversity.

The world population is predicted to grow from 6 billion to 9 billion by 2050 (http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/longrange2/WorldPop2300final.pdf) all of whom will need feeding, clothing, housing and playstations.

I personally can't see how paying additional green taxes, changing my light bulbs, recycling cow farts etc etc will make enough savings to accomodate the impact of population increase never mind achieve a reduction in overall CO2. :confused1:

Last night I was watching a show on the History or Science channel here.

They were talking about the Sahara desert, saying that scientists learned that the Sahara goes back and forth from wet to dry like clockwork, about every 20,000 years.

Made me laugh about climate change, because the Sahara is not the only thing that has changed a lot, but the continents shift, volanoes blow their tops and much more.

The planet is always changing, and the climate people need a reality check to make allowance for planet-caused changes that indisputably will develop.

with regards to population, it is without doubt our biggest issue, but knowing how nature works, and she is a superb leveller. When it really becomes too much, a viral plague will descend and eliminate an awfull lot of us! and balance will be restored, grim but so true, and in this global economy we will spread it like wild fire.