Kilimanjaro - a serious challenge.

kingswood

As my 50th birthday present to myself I decided to have a go at climbing Kilimanjaro. It is the worlds highest free-standing mountain, and is over 2/3rds the height of Everest. It is also on the Equator, so it is blazingly hot at the bottom and bitingly cold at the top.

I kept a photo journal of the trip, and have been talked into posting it on here as an article of general interest. I certainly recommend it - it was a brilliant experience - but don't underestimate it!

Any comments, questions or general banter would be welcome.

Richard.

Kili Journal.docx

Edited by Steve Bullman

Yes, it's 5,895m which is about 19,400 feet.

It was great fun, and strangely enough it wasn't the exertion that was the problem, but the intense cold. Minus 25C doesn't sound too bad, but the air is so thin you are forced to walk extremely slowly, so you don't generate any body heat. One day we walked for 5 hours without stopping, and averaged 1/4 of a mile an hour. It's actually more of a mental than a physical challenge - just keeping going when your body has really had enough.

Yes, it's 5,895m which is about 19,400 feet.

It was great fun, and strangely enough it wasn't the exertion that was the problem, but the intense cold. Minus 25C doesn't sound too bad, but the air is so thin you are forced to walk extremely slowly, so you don't generate any body heat. One day we walked for 5 hours without stopping, and averaged 1/4 of a mile an hour. It's actually more of a mental than a physical challenge - just keeping going when your body has really had enough.

Sounds like fun:confused1:... Maybe not for the faint hearted. Well done Richard! That is one serious achievement!:thumbup: Just read your account of the trip. Amazing photos and looks like it was a fantastic trip!

Edited by BenR

Nice one! Sorry to hear about your buddy though. Altitude is not to be under-estimated!

I walked the Machame route back in 2003 - your photos have brought all the memories flooding back. One of the best experiences of my life so far.

Out of interest who did you book with? I am impressed by the quality of the tents in your pics. Did the porters have decent accommodation and gear too? I remember this being an issue when I did it...especially when on the first night they realised they were one tent short for the tourists so I kipped in the porters tent!

We booked with Hoopoe Safaris in Arusha. I couldn't fault them - all the kit was in good condition, and they even supplied thick sleeping bags with liners and proper(ish) pillows! The food was always good (except the porridge), and the porters were outstanding - helpful and friendly without exception.