New Stihl strimmers- I didn't think they could improve them so much!

doobin

Every little gripe about the old 4xx series has been addressed. These are running the new '2 mix' engine- instead of valves (as per 4 mix) it injects a 'cushion' of air inbetween fuel charges to meet emissions regs. Haven't run it enough to comment on engine. No adjustment screws so I hope the carb knows what it's doing!

Very, very impressed. Seriously.

#1. Choke lever has been completely redone. Push it to switch it- no accidental knocks or vibration turning it. Blip the throttle and it automatically switches off.

#2. Push to kill- as per 660 blower. Very nice.

#3. Taller handlebars. BIG improvement- way easier on the wrists.

#4. Handlebar adjustment/flip round- Now has latch similar to the fuel tanks. Also, no need to unscrew it almost all the way out to get the handlebars to lie parallel with the shaft. This was a major gripe on the previous model. Nothing more annoying than unscrewing too far and the whole lot falling off.

#5. New harnesses- PLENTY of room to get fingers under buckle to adjust on the move. Also have option of chest straps and a tool bag on the bag (pricey but will be worth its weight in gold on the footpath clearing).

Nice one Stihl :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Now, who wants to buy a pair of old 400s? :lol:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every little gripe about the old 4xx series has been addressed. These are running the new '2 mix' engine- instead of valves (as per 4 mix) it injects a 'cushion' of air inbetween fuel charges to meet emissions regs. Haven't run it enough to comment on engine. No adjustment screws so I hope the carb knows what it's doing!

Very, very impressed. Seriously.

#1. Choke lever has been completely redone. Push it to switch it- no accidental knocks or vibration turning it. Blip the throttle and it automatically switches off.

#2. Push to kill- as per 660 blower. Very nice.

#3. Taller handlebars. BIG improvement- way easier on the wrists.

#4. Handlebar adjustment/flip round- Now has latch similar to the fuel tanks. Also, no need to unscrew it almost all the way out to get the handlebars to lie parallel with the shaft. This was a major gripe on the previous model. Nothing more annoying than unscrewing too far and the whole lot falling off.

#5. New harnesses- PLENTY of room to get fingers under buckle to adjust on the move. Also have option of chest straps and a tool bag on the bag (pricey but will be worth its weight in gold on the footpath clearing).

Nice one Stihl :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Now, who wants to buy a pair of old 400s? :lol:

just out of intrest how much you after?

just out of intrest how much you after?

Sorry bud, it was a joke! The old 400s have served me well- one is in good enough nick and the other a year older is getting low on compression but still good enough for now and will be kept for spares when it dies.

Seriously mate, the last person you should buy used machinery from is me! :laugh1: I had to have the valves on a FR-130 rebuilt THREE TIMES in a year!

The big strimmers do at least twenty hours work a week each over the summer. I well remember one evening last July when we finally packed up and went to the pub at quarter to eleven- just made last orders!

So you can see why I needed a new strimmer for backup. The two 100s are no good for anything but hedgecutting and the 550 is too heavy for grass trimming.

Have to agree, bought the Fs 460 last week and been very impresses so far, much nicer to use than the 450. Also the mowing guard is smaller making it easier to see what you're cutting and starting it up is so easy, could pull the rope with my little finger.

Just hope they're as reliable as the 400 and 450 and if they are they will be an awesome brushcutter

• 2 years later...

OK, so status update.

Engine- no issues whatsoever, completely faultless. Despite not changing the air filter for a whole year. Ergonomic, comfortable and even better on the fuel economy compared to the old series than Stihl claimed!!

Driveshafts on the other hand is a constant gripe. Basically all three of my FS460s after a years work have started vibrating like mad at certain points in the rev range- critical oscillation I guess.

All drive shafts are true as true. I've had the outer on one replaced by the dealer- refused to do it under warranty even though only a week out- poor show. However, this improved it only slightly.

I fiddled about and discovered that wrapping small amounts of foil tape in four places on the driveshaft stops the problem for a few weeks use- then it's back. Moving the tape sorts it again, but it's a ballache and shouldn't need to be that way.

A call to Stihl technical, and apparently there's a problem on the earliest models with the clutch housing fatiguing. Have two here in the yard at the moment, yes, one is cracked but the other is not. So will be trying to have the cracked one replaced under warranty (Stihl technical say yes no problem, but it has to go through the original dealer. Who were less than helpful, and should probably stick to selling tractors) So we shall see.

I have two machines stripped and on the bench at the moment, and am about to run some tests with a drill powering the shaft. Has anyone else any information about this problem?

• 2 months later...
OK, so status update.

Engine- no issues whatsoever, completely faultless. Despite not changing the air filter for a whole year. Ergonomic, comfortable and even better on the fuel economy compared to the old series than Stihl claimed!!

Driveshafts on the other hand is a constant gripe. Basically all three of my FS460s after a years work have started vibrating like mad at certain points in the rev range- critical oscillation I guess.

All drive shafts are true as true. I've had the outer on one replaced by the dealer- refused to do it under warranty even though only a week out- poor show. However, this improved it only slightly.

I fiddled about and discovered that wrapping small amounts of foil tape in four places on the driveshaft stops the problem for a few weeks use- then it's back. Moving the tape sorts it again, but it's a ballache and shouldn't need to be that way.

A call to Stihl technical, and apparently there's a problem on the earliest models with the clutch housing fatiguing. Have two here in the yard at the moment, yes, one is cracked but the other is not. So will be trying to have the cracked one replaced under warranty (Stihl technical say yes no problem, but it has to go through the original dealer. Who were less than helpful, and should probably stick to selling tractors) So we shall see.

I have two machines stripped and on the bench at the moment, and am about to run some tests with a drill powering the shaft. Has anyone else any information about this problem?

Think I sorted this, see this post: http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/60133-need-new-brushcutter-recommendations.html#post922205

well my honda gets used on a daily basis and is worked hard do not get any of the issues you have had with the sthil. fill with fuel prime choke starts off choke away we go for rest of day. if it lasts a well as old 425 which it should as made the shroud to engine much stronger should go on for years. and its 4 stroke so no mixing. had mine nearly a year now. all i have replaced is spool in head as doing pavments so wears them out. but last 3 months. was looking at a big sthil will stay with honda

Yeah got the Honda 4 stroke too! Was the first thing we bought when starting up 8 years ago, spool wore out pretty quick but replaced it with a flexiblade one and its dead easy. Sure you have to stop when it needs replacing but no winding wire and banging on the floor to get more out. Honda all the way...