the best ford transit!!!

defenderjack

my 52 plate has done nearly 200.000 miles.. was 6 months old when i bought it... still on original engine and drives no diff to my mates 55 plate with 80k on it.. its just had its 2nd clutch in it.. replaced dual mass flywheel for solid one when 1st clutch was changed, several starter motors and alternators but thats it..it got bit rusty 18 months ago so resprayed cab and put good 2nd hand body on it.. when i think of the loads its had on it over its lifetime it amazes me how its still going.. we've processed and sold nearly 400 ton firewood this winter and every load has gone on it.. 1200 miles a week i was doing in it in 3 weeks up to xmas and its done same since i had it... i'm gonna have to change it soon and just hope next one is half as good.. got my eye on an 06 plate with 50k miles on it...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got two mk6 transits (panel vans), each with around 200,000 on the clock

If I was short on cash and I wasn't planning on doing any long distance I might look at an LDV though

Earlier ones came with the 2.5 transit engine or peugeot

Later ones (2002 on) had the Transit 2.4l, same as RWD mk6 transits.

LDV offered the 2.4 engine in 75ps and 90ps, from what I've heard I would avoid the 75ps

convert that landy of yours Darren!

i know !! ive been toying with what would be more practical recently and i figured a transit would allow more room and i might be able to find myself a 90 to scoot around in with gear when subbying for other people , .......BUT i am very tempted to convert it and stick with it i dont really wana get rid of it im so confused lol:confused1: ! hows work ? you busy, i went on your website the otherday theres a pretty good picture of some hansome bloke up a macrocarpa:biggrin:

i had a 110 high cap and very easily converted the exsistin high cap body to a tipper.. put an ifor williams top on it and made perfect chip body.. could take top off in secs if i needed to use it to deliver logs.. my mate did all the conversion at reasonable rate so if you wanted it done let me no

i had a 110 high cap and very easily converted the exsistin high cap body to a tipper.. put an ifor williams top on it and made perfect chip body.. could take top off in secs if i needed to use it to deliver logs.. my mate did all the conversion at reasonable rate so if you wanted it done let me no

so you still used the highcap tub did you ? you got any piccys out of interest :001_smile: ive been toying with this for ages but reluctent to spend a couple of grand on a conversion when i would prob be better with a transit ,

my problem is i sub to other people for 2,3 days of the week and dont really want to be driving around in a tranny all the time id much rather stick with landy ,also my yard would be a nightmare in a transit :thumbdown:

Guest Infinitree
i know !! ive been toying with what would be more practical recently and i figured a transit would allow more room and i might be able to find myself a 90 to scoot around in with gear when subbying for other people , .......BUT i am very tempted to convert it and stick with it i dont really wana get rid of it im so confused lol:confused1: ! hows work ? you busy, i went on your website the otherday theres a pretty good picture of some hansome bloke up a macrocarpa:biggrin:

Ah yes...I was contemplating photoshopping that one(after several concerned complaints from the general public):001_tongue:

Things are good mate,bit quiet over chrimbo and Jan but thats fairly standard. You getting on alright?

Our 07 plate is awsome theres places to put your flask and cups and cubby holes everywhere, The gearlever on the dash is great as theres more room for the passengers.

We take the back seats out to make room for tools.

Had a Merc Sprinter and it was crap the pedals were too close and the steering wheel too far away and i needed to take my back out of the seat to reach the gearlever, It went like a scalded cat but the turbo lag was shocking.

LDV....Worth their weight in SCRAP:biggrin:

so you still used the highcap tub did you ? you got any piccys out of interest :001_smile: ive been toying with this for ages but reluctent to spend a couple of grand on a conversion when i would prob be better with a transit ,

my problem is i sub to other people for 2,3 days of the week and dont really want to be driving around in a tranny all the time id much rather stick with landy ,also my yard would be a nightmare in a transit :thumbdown:

yeah still used high cap tub.. sorry never had any pics... you would never no its a tipper.. the body sits about inch and half higher than normal... he charged around £600 to do the work with all steel to build sub frame included.. if you got a 2nd hand tipper pump and ram thats all it'd cost... although to be honest you can buy brand new 12v pump off ebay with wanderin lead and good new single actin ram for around 100.. so for less than a grand its tippinj with all new [guaranteed] parts..[which is what i did]. i paid 6000 for 52 plate 110 high cap with 90k on clock.. put good set wider wheels and tyres on it to handle better [£450] paid £100 for ifor top off ebay and sold it 6 months ago for 8 grand.. and people still callin for it occasionaly now.. they all say same.. they like fact its still original lookin..