the best ford transit!!!

defenderjack

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The smiley face ones if you can find a good one would be ok , they on a whole seem more durable and easy to work on than the last two transit models that also are known to have not too strong gear boxes and clutches...mine had injector problem the other day I could of done it my self on my old smiley transit but opening the bonnet now and looking at the new engines you have to take half the engine apart and it's a lot tighter!

The smiley face ones if you can find a good one would be ok , they on a whole seem more durable and easy to work on than the last two transit models that also are known to have not too strong gear boxes and clutches...mine had injector problem the other day I could of done it my self on my old smiley transit but opening the bonnet now and looking at the new engines you have to take half the engine apart and it's a lot tighter!

thanks matty , so what year/models are the smiley face ones :001_smile:

Like Mat says the mk5 are very good but wach out for the rust!!! If you are going for the mk6 make sure its had its oil changed as this can lead to timing chain problems.

The duel mass ful wheels are also rubbish, but they can when needed be changed to a solid and I think the early mk7 had teething problems.

Hi Defenderjack....

Transits are all well and good if you are aware of the load weight you can carry LEGALLY time you get your grab boards, tools and equipment etc etc ...3 men if thats how you work, then i'm afraid about 600 to 900kgs is your payload......trust me VOSA are on the look out for people with suspected vehicle overloads.... but a Nissan Grafter aint too bad, really good turning circle and nice and compact.

Err good question I think they made them up to 1999 but some are 2000 registered think they are pretty hard to come by as most fords seem to rot bad and these are work horses so you know the score!!!the newer shape ones are not bad at all but just be wary of high millage ones unles they have had a recent clutch

Err good question I think they made them up to 1999 but some are 2000 registered think they are pretty hard to come by as most fords seem to rot bad and these are work horses so you know the score!!!the newer shape ones are not bad at all but just be wary of high millage ones unles they have had a recent clutch

ok guys thats given me a good starting point thanks very much for info :thumbup1::001_smile:

We had transits for years until I bought a new 1995 smiley front. 16 faults which never got sorted. Vowed to Ford dealer would not buy again while I had a whole in my bottom ( or words to that effect ) and have stayed true to my word. Sounds like they have got worse if thats possible. I would by any other make before I bought a Ford again and most of the others have there faults.

Ford Transit Forum • View forum - Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits

Great info here, But remember people only post faults so you never see a my Transit is great and never given any problems thread.

On our 2 Mk6s they have both had a few starters, The flywheel breaks up and gets in the mech.

The clutch went in one so it now has a solid flywheel.

Theres been a spate of burst power steering pipes but its not that drastic.

Both the Mk6s are 350 90hp and the MK7 is a 350 100hp the GVW is 3500KG and the GTW is 5745KG tare about 2400KG

DSC00401.jpg

A level load of bark.......

We take salt for gritting down to the yard and it will carry 2600KG quite happily:thumbup: