Victory for the trees

TREELINE

I've contracted to a local landscape firm for several years. One of their contracts is for a hospital hereabouts and we do the tree bit - survey and cutting.

After doing a survey 18months ago a car was squashed by a beech limb. £30000 . Luckily it was one I hadn't missed off the survey ! and it was down to be reduced but blah blah budgets blah.

Also the extensively Ivy covered trees have turned up Ustulina etc etc thus rendering most of the original survey out of date now we have removed it. The landscaper was told 18months ago to do it ; didn't and then wanted another 10-12 months to do it after I badgered him (poor badger).

Cut long story short- Circumvent landscaper, approach hospital chief executives office direct, deal with issue head on, win extra 4k of required works.

We don't work for the landscaper anymore but I did what was right at the expense of this tawdry relationship so even though we are about to go bust (not dead) the moral is - if you believe it stick up for it.

I'd rather not work than do rubbish for idiots. N'est pas?:thumbup:

I should probably let Iso 9001/14001 know about his lack of a papertrail and the woodchip/waste piles all over the tree roots just for fun. They've only just been awarded it so it shouldnt be too difficult to to part with.

Nice one! People ignoring surveys is an all too regular occurrence. Definitely worth chasing it up for an extra £4k.

Thanks Paul. I chased it up because the next tree may have squashed someone. The 4k is a small but welcome drop in the ocean though.

Procurement is a great idea. Its not a very good net for catching duff landscapers though and ISO looks meaningless if you can hide the truth.