New Zealand working holiday..

ARB-MAN

Must've been about 10 years ago I was there spent a year climbing. Teeescape are a really good first point of call, great company BUT they know how to keep you down. To them you just work and if you break there's always more.

After having enough of them, I went on the road and wherever I stopped phoned the local companies via yellow pages, might be worth contacting councils inadvance to see if they have an opinion or even local approved list.

Treefellas another Auckland based company were great too.

If you are an ISA member look up other members in NZ

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a browse under jobs/arborist on trademe.co.nz. Heaps of jobs last night for arborists all over the country, from utility through to consultancy. Like silverback said, treescape, you just become a number. I worked for them for several years and it's a case of all take and no give but it is a job and like anywhere, some managers are better to work for than others.

That wage sounds pretty reasonable, and do you reckon that i could pick up a second hand saw at a decent price then, as i wont be flying out with one? I'm definately interested in working for a logging company as a feller, for the experience as my dad worked in the woods for years (now doing private tree work) and allways goes on about it being real man's work.. haha.

Out of interest, do you know what an average wage would be working for one of the larger tree surgery firms? As a climber or groundie..

I've been browsing the jobs on trademe.nz for a few months, ill have another look now..

Cheers Taupotreeman and Silver Back

-Will

About 8 or 9 years ago, I was in a similar position to you, found work at City Care in Christchurch, they had lots of brits on working holiday visa's.

Hi mate, sorry for the delayed reply, i must of missed your message! How did you end up in that position? Did you go out to NZ on a holiday or.....??

A second hand saw will cost you about $1400 for an 046 and a bit more for 660. Ther's usually plenty about because so many people start the chainsaw course thinking the work is for them and then give up when they realise it's hard graft.

The going rate for a climber depends on where you're based and your capabilities. Some outfits will pay up to $25 an hour (gross) for a good climber but I imagine the average would be between $18 and $21. A groundy will obviously earn less. It will also depend if you can do power line clearance, what driving licence classes you have etc; basically it's all about how valuable you are to the company.

As per traditional loggers; if you can stop off for a few days in somewhere like singapore it will definately make the trip over more bearable. 24hrs on a plane is not fun.

get a 12 month working holiday visa. gives you the freedom to explore the country. Find an area you like, then look for a job. Usually loads about and us poms are highly regarded as knowledgeable grafters!

Spent 8 months in the bay of Islands a couple of years ago, landscaping/maintenance for the local council and doing trees for cash.

if you find somewhere you like with a decent job you can go down the sponsorship route.

Great place, great people, unbelievable scenery. Loved it.

Hello Guys, sorry that I join in, but I am in the same shoes as ARB-MAN, and just wanted to say thanks for the useful informations...

I would like to fly out in about Jun...

Arbman, if I can ask, please keep on posting if you find something just for the interest, also please let me know if you find out about the visa/permit.

Many thanks

Regards